• Register Today It's free!

95 XLT won't start - need help

brminpin

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hi everyone, I'm sorry this question has to be my first post but here it goes.

I have a 1995 XLT 4.0L that has been giving me a bit of trouble. The car just doesn't want to start sometimes. Here are the things I've done to it so far: new FP relay, new PCM relay, and new spark plug cables. When the car does start, it runs just fine. The car doesn't want to start the most when it's super wet outside.

When I turn the ignition on, I can hear the fuel pump but it keeps on running. Instead of priming for 2-3 seconds, it'll just keep running. Sometimes turning the ignition on and off several time will get the fuel pump to prime for 2 second and the car starts just fine.

One thing that I've noticed in the engine bay is that I have a super slow leak where the upper radiator hose connects to the water pump (the hose appears to be rotten on the inside since the coolant is seeping out of the fibers in the hose). Is there anything that the coolant could be leaking onto that may affect the fuel system? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have heard of this problem before. I think it was a checkball in the fuel tank. The fix was to turn the key on and off a few times then start. Try that the next time you start the truck knowning its gonna have a hard time. If the truck starts when you do that litle procedure, then you know thats the problem and you can just keep doing that or replace it, but you will have to drop the tank to do it.

When it won't start, is it getting fuel? I would probably go so far as to put a pressure gauge on it. Are the fuel injectors doing anything when it won't start? does it have spark? Does the CEL come on with the key off before you try to start it when it won't start? You might try pulling codes, some no starts will leave codes in the computer.

Do you have a voltmeter and a wiring diagram? It does sound like something electrical in nature.

Back