• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer radio blues

TIMBELL99

Reaction score
City, State
Lynchburg, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ranger Super 4.0 4x4
I am wanting to install a new radio/CD radio in my son's Explorer, and the more I read here, the more confused I become.

For the part number on his radio, F57F-19B165-AG, he has a 1990-1997 premium AM/FM/Cass unit. For all the information here at the site, that tells me it should have a factory amp somewhere. Could someone tell me where to look? I do not believe he has a factory sub because the right rear wheel panel has a storage unit in it.

His radio only has 2 connectors, one gray one, flat, 8 pin I believe, looks like most every other older Ford radio I have seen, and then a small black one, square, 16 pin, but only has 9 small wires going into it. I did not see any shielded gray wire anywhere. His radio also has the antenna lead going into it.

I had looked at the Jensen VR185 radio, and he likes it because of all the RCA connectors for his aftermarket amp, ipod, ect., and I like it because it looks original and neat.

Is there a harness that will allow me to connect this unit? From the pictures of it, it looks like it uses a 98-up type connector. Or what harness should I use to connect a different aftermarket style radio? I would like to use the factory speakers and his amp only for his 12" subs.

Man, the Ranger was so much easier. I'm weird when it comes to wires, neat and proper is the way for me.

Any help would be great. I have spent days here looking and searching, but with dialup, it is taking it's toll.

Thanks;

Tim Bell

96 Explorer 4x4 4.0 Manual shift
95 Ranger Supercab 4x4 4.0 Automatic

Back