96 ranger 4.0 starts then immediately dies. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 ranger 4.0 starts then immediately dies.

barefootbob

Reaction score
City, State
TALKEETNA, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Ranger 4.0
First off let me say this is my first post, but I have been reading all related threads on this forum and many others and I am still stumped, and ready to pull my hair out! I have a 96 ranger with the 4.0, it will start and then die every time with strong fuel smell and wet plugs (it floods). I have tested literally everything I can find could be a possibility and I will list it out here in no particular order. Tested TPS and results were in spec, tested IAC functioning perfectly (also tried with throttle cracked open), has new plugs, wires, and coil and great spark. Has excellent fuel pressure at the rail, doesnt drop lower when starting then dying, holds pressure for a couple of hours. Tested and replaced MAF, CPS, and ECT sensors as well. Have also checked injectors they are pulsing correctly all getting signal from ecu. I even replaced the ecu. I disconnected exhaust before the cat thinking maybe it was plugged. I checked the FPR on the rail no fuel or fuel smell. All fluids look good, no water in oil, etc. Also there are no codes thrown on the truck, I have scanned it. Oh, and compression test yielded 135-140 on all cylinders (truck has 230k). ALL to no avail everytime the truck starts, revs to around 2500 rpms, and dies. Sounds good for the 2 seconds it runs! Strong fuel smell from exhaust and the plugs are wet, everytime I pull them after start attempt. Please help me, what am I missing?!

Thanks in advance!

"everytime the truck starts, revs to around 2500 rpms, and dies"
Not sure how the fuel on plugs plays into this but the engine (as you probably know / implying in statement) should only rev to about 1,200 rpms on startup....so sounds like a serious vacuum leak.... check the seal (spray starting fluid)where the large metal egr tube connects to side of upper intake (near front of drivers side)...especially if you had that off or loosened up recently....and then of course anywhere else a potential v leak might be..

Back