97 Explorer headlights/fog lights out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer headlights/fog lights out

MC1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hi All,
My 97 Explorer headlights went out while driving last night- low and high beams, both sides. Fog lights also now won't turn on. All other lights okay. High beams, thankfully, will come on if I pull turn signal lever into "flash to pass" position (I drove home holding the lever there).
Don't suspect my headlight switch, since instrument lights come on and I get the audible "headlight on" alarm when opening the door after removing keys from ignition.
DIsmantled and cleaned the contacts inside the Multifunction Switch. Briefly after reinstalling, headlights were on solid even with headlight switch turned off. Pulled signal lever into "flash to pass" position and they went off; original problem returned.
All associated fuses seem to be okay. Any thoughts?

It was the multifunction switch

Hi Rick, thanks for sending me the previous post. Unlike the poster, my high beams were also out. I went to a junkyard and got a used MFS for $30, everything works fine again. Thanks for all the help...not that it hasn't been a pleasure, but I hope not to talk to you anytime too soon! ;-)
Mike

Back