97 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD ( Hard Starting Issue) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD ( Hard Starting Issue)

One thing I would check at this point is the coolant temperature sensor for the ecm. I think you can find the electrical measurement vs temperature charts online so you can just put it in a pot of hot water and test it with a meter. If it's reading constantly cold, you could get similar symptoms to what you're describing.

Edit - I found this in a quick search. It's possible that Ford changed the specs, but I doubt it...

First, check the signal voltage at the connector with the key on, engine off. Should be approximately 5.0v.

Then, check the resistance of the sensor cold. Should be between 58,750 to 40,500 ohms.

Plug in the harness connector and warm up the engine to normal operating temperature. Then, unplug and check the resistance of the sensor hot. Should be 3,600 to 1,840 ohms

Also, see the attached image for off vehicle tests.
View media item 53291

^^ this. You mentioned a coolant controller was replaced but i suspect you replaced the sensor for the temp gauge. There are 2 coolant sensors, one for the gauge, and, one inputs signal to the PCM. Your symptom is a classic worn ECT sensor symptom.

^^ this. You mentioned a coolant controller was replaced but i suspect you replaced the sensor for the temp gauge. There are 2 coolant sensors, one for the gauge, and, one inputs signal to the PCM. Your symptom is a classic worn ECT sensor symptom.

I replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor the one located right under the coil packs.

I replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor the one located right under the coil packs.
Yeah, both of them are down there, you want to be sure you changed the one farthest toward the passenger side, it is located in the heater hose crossover tube.

Back