97 XLT, how to identify audio system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT, how to identify audio system?

DavidDulin

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT V8 AWD
Hey folks

it is almost embarassing to ask these questions, since I worked in the car audio business from 1995 - 2000, and have certainly sold gear for Explorers during that time.

I just picked up a '97 XLT 4 door, and it has a "cassette deck". I guess that 14 years ago people actually bought things called "tapes". The unit has "AUTO LEARN" button, and CD changer controls. I believe there is a factory amp somewhere.

I have a few options to consider:
(1) replace head unit with CD player, may require line output converter and/or additional wiring to be run

(2) add an "aux input" adaptor such as the one made by PIE, which will allow me to connect an MP3 player. This is less invasive, and easier to undo, since I am not keeping the vehicle very long.

Anyone know how to tell if this is the "JBL" system, or the "non-JBL" system? Where is the factory amplifier hidden? Also I hear about a factory 8" subwoofer that I do not see mentioned in the manual.

I am leaning towards #2, though Crutchfield throwing in the install gear for free makes that a good option also.

Thanks

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory amp is located behind the side panel on the passenger side in the hatch area. The sub would be located in the same panel, if you don't have the sub you will have a cubby hole. If you have the cd changer in the center console, and no sub you have the non-jbl "premium" system.

Check out this thread, and other threads in the audio forum for some ideas:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25999

I have no sub. Changer controls but no changer. Pulled the radio, did not see a changer cable connection available. Going by the owners manual, I located the underhood fuse #1 labeled "JBL system", when I pulled that there was no more sound. Cassette deck remained on, no audio. Does the premium "non JBL" system use the same fuse?

I am looking to add an Ipod via an adaptor, and the adaptor used is determined by JBL or non-JBL. Hoping to avoid pulling the rear trim panel. Hope to make future posts with correct grammar.

David- not a big deal to pull the rear panel, just pop the Christmas tree clips on the back tailgate edge with a big screwdriver, remove probably one screw from under the rear carpet, and pull the other clips with the panel itself. If you have 2 amps, you have JBL. If one, you don't. If the deck doesn't look like this:

!CBkzS+QBWk~$(KGrHqMOKpoE0U8DDwSGBNIQMjUrPQ~~_12.jpg

...then it isn't a JBL.

Cheapest and easiest- get a deck with a 3.5mm jack on the front- then you can just plug a headphone patch cable to the deck, enjoy tunes, and you save the money from the interface if you're not going to have the vehicle long.

That radio photo just busted it wide open. My radio is "similar" but does not have the separate bass / treble controls. or the JBL logo on the cassette door. TY.

Dave

Yeah, you've got the premium sound, like this one:

CLICK ME

...but no JBL

sir yes sir
radio is very similar though it has CD changer controls.

Thanks

It was possible to have the changer without the JBL system. All is normal... :)

Back