97 XLT, no turn signals or hazards! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 XLT, no turn signals or hazards!

DavidDulin

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT V8 AWD
Hey all

having problems . . . . when I bought the XLT a year ago, I had an issue with the turn signals. The dealer fiddled with teh flasher relay, said I needed a new one. The problem never reappeared so I didn't bother replacing it.

On Sat. night, I attempted to use my hazard flashers. When I pressed the button on top of the steering column, no worky. The turn signals also stopped working at this point. I checked all fuses OK. According to the Haynes manual, the flasher relay is located "under the instrument panel, to the right side of the steering column. I have removed the plastic and metal underdash pieces and cannot locate the relay. The Haynes photo doesn't help much. Do I need to pull the gauge cluster trim panel, or the radio bezel as well to access the relay? I ran out of daylight yesterday and couldnt complete the job.

Where is this relay is!!

I have also seen posts regarding the ground path for the MFS or flashers coming through one of the parking lights. My hazards are not on the MFS, but a switch on top of the column. Can the MFS still be a problem?

Dave

check your multifunction switch. This is a common failure. the flasher relay depending on model should be yellow to the right of the steering column, shouldnt be hard to find, i can easily reach up and touch it. the MFS can cause alot of issues, like my intermittent wipers have a mind of their own. I havent yet had a chance to replace mine because i gotta pull my dash bezel to pop apart my steering column plastic. Thats my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Hmmm I didn't see anything yellow except the airbag harness. So . . . is the relay accessible without pulling the dash bezel?

Dave

Back