98 4.0 SOHC fuel pressure regulator!?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 4.0 SOHC fuel pressure regulator!??

chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
I have been pulling my hair out trying to find the correct PN# for a fuel pressure regulator for a 98 4.0 SOHC. Seems like every parts house has a different name and PN# for it... fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure damper, fuel injection regulator, fuel injection pressure damper/regulator, and they even look different. See pics. I cannot see exactly which one I have and won't be able to until I pull the upper intake mani off, at which time I won't be able to get to a parts house! So how in the heck do I get the right part before I start disassembly!?
Anyone know the CORRECT PN# for this bugger?
Thanks!
Chef Duane

Attachments

• FPR2.jpg
    FPR2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,896
  • fpr3.jpg
    fpr3.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,967

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

neither of those

Most 1998 models have a return type fuel system with a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) mounted on the fuel rail. The V8 FPRs and V6 FPRs are different. Very late 1998 models may have the returnless fuel system with the FPR in the fuel tank and a fuel pressure damper mounted on the fuel rail. See What's that on the fuel rail?

Most 1998 models have a return type fuel system with a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) mounted on the fuel rail. The V8 FPRs and V6 FPRs are different. Very late 1998 models may have the returnless fuel system with the FPR in the fuel tank and a fuel pressure damper mounted on the fuel rail. See What's that on the fuel rail?

hmm.. I think I must have the FPR in the tank, because the device I am seeing is located above the passenger side valve cover mounted on the front of the fuel rail. It does have a vacuum line coming directly off the top center of the circular unit at about 45 degree angle in line with the 'V' of the pass side head. My Build Sheet says date of manufacture was 9/9/98 so I think what I am looking at is the fuel pressure damper. See pic. ...still trying to run down a part number.
Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• FPDamper.jpg
    FPDamper.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 4,551

"According to the 2004 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual the fuel pressure should be 30 to 40 psi with ignition on and engine running or not running."

"My fuel pressure only drops from 67 psi to 30 psi in eight hours."

Everything I have seen indicates normal fuel pressure '04 should be around 60 psi.

Now above, your quote states 30 to 40, but your own vehicle measures 67?

What gives? Typo? Thanks. imp

"According to the 2004 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual the fuel pressure should be 30 to 40 psi with ignition on and engine running or not running."

"My fuel pressure only drops from 67 psi to 30 psi in eight hours."

Everything I have seen indicates normal fuel pressure '04 should be around 60 psi.

Now above, your quote states 30 to 40, but your own vehicle measures 67?

What gives? Typo? Thanks. imp

uh... wrong thread, dude.

hmm.. I think I must have the FPR in the tank, because the device I am seeing is located above the passenger side valve cover mounted on the front of the fuel rail. It does have a vacuum line coming directly off the top center of the circular unit at about 45 degree angle in line with the 'V' of the pass side head. My Build Sheet says date of manufacture was 9/9/98 so I think what I am looking at is the fuel pressure damper. See pic. ...still trying to run down a part number.
Thanks for the info.

I have an '03 Sport with the same 4.0 SOHC engine. The fuel rail damper for mine was Ford 1Z2Z-9F775-AA or FPD18. The best price I could fine was on Ebay For $75 or regular $150 at local auto stores. Ford wants over $300 for Motorcraft. Sometimes these leak internally and cause a lost of fuel pressure.

I have an '03 Sport with the same 4.0 SOHC engine. The fuel rail damper for mine was Ford 1Z2Z-9F775-AA or FPD18. The best price I could fine was on Ebay For $75 or regular $150 at local auto stores. Ford wants over $300 for Motorcraft. Sometimes these leak internally and cause a lost of fuel pressure.

Thanks for the info. I pretty sure that is what my issue is. She was throwing P0171/4 codes and diagnostics and general board info pointed to Upper & Lower mani gaskets. Did those and codes went away but lately I've been having hard start issues after warm up. I've gone through those diagnostics and when I did the fuel pressure test the pump brings it up to 61psi no problem, but when I shut it off the pressure dissipates to 0 within 30-40 seconds. Multiple tests got the same results. Doesn't look like I'm holding pressure. I think I'm going to pull the upper mani again and do the FPR and PCV while I'm at it. Maybe EGR too for the heck of it.

Any advice on re-doing the upper mani gaskets again? Should I just lay in a new set while I have it off (they're pretty cheap) or will a 6 month old set suffice? (I bet Koda will know!)

Again, thanks for the PN info.

Chef Duane

Thanks for the info. I pretty sure that is what my issue is. She was throwing P0171/4 codes and diagnostics and general board info pointed to Upper & Lower mani gaskets. Did those and codes went away but lately I've been having hard start issues after warm up. I've gone through those diagnostics and when I did the fuel pressure test the pump brings it up to 61psi no problem, but when I shut it off the pressure dissipates to 0 within 30-40 seconds. Multiple tests got the same results. Doesn't look like I'm holding pressure. I think I'm going to pull the upper mani again and do the FPR and PCV while I'm at it. Maybe EGR too for the heck of it.

Any advice on re-doing the upper mani gaskets again? Should I just lay in a new set while I have it off (they're pretty cheap) or will a 6 month old set suffice? (I bet Koda will know!)

Again, thanks for the PN info.

Chef Duane

i'd replace them. why take a chance.

Back