98 AWD Limited Hi/low range transfer case swap. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 AWD Limited Hi/low range transfer case swap.

Got a AWD with no low range. Thinking about converting to a Hi/lo. Push button or not. I think it would be nice to have the four inch lift on command and a low range too. Any body have any info on the conversion? Where could i find a complete setup? Can't afford an Atlas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:cool:
Drnaline,

I have a 98 with AWD and have been researching this conversion for a while.

I mentioned before that you can use a 4406 T-case out of an Expedition or F-150, but after getting my hands on one to try out, I found that it was just a little to much of a squeeze to get it to fit. So I abandoned that idea.

What your looking for is a t-case small enough that has the standard Ford 6-bolt circular pattern to bolt to the 4R70W transmission along with a 31 spline input socket.

If you want to go the simple, but expensive route, Advanced Adapters now makes an Atlas II t-case that will bolt right up. Unfortunately its about $2500 and you will need to cut slots in your floor for the shifters.

Call me crazy, but I prefer electric shift and Control-Trac. So upon further digging, I found that Advanced Adapters just so happens to make a transmission-to-tranfer case adapter that replaces the existing adapter with 6-bolts, with one thats a 5-bolt pattern which allows you to bolt a 1354 (91-94 Explorer) or 4405 Control Trac (95-01 Explorer) t-case to a AOD or an AODE (4R70W) the latter, happens to be the transmission AWD V8 Explorers have. This adapter is about $500 and comes with the new adapter with a 5-bolt pattern, and a new 25 spline output shaft for your transmission.

You can pick up a 1354 t-case with electric shift for around $300-$500 at a salvage yard. Along with the adapter kit ($500) , the labor to get the new output shaft installed in your transmission ($400), and a GEM module to control the t-case ($60), this whole process will run you back around $1500.

Darren
Littleton, CO

-Front 4 inch Superlift(Ranger)+1 inch Torsion Twist
-Rear 5.5 inch Superlift SOA
-2 inch PA body lift
-33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler MT-Rs

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hi/Lo Transfer case

So if I understand correct. There is no Tcase that will bolt up to my tranny without changing the adpter, Atlas, stock or other wise? Can't I get the adpter with the used T-case or are the Trannies different too. Sounds like your the guy to talk to on this one. I have two brothers that work at Ford so I can get pretty much any info I need. Thanks alot for the info.

:cool:
Drnaline,
Advanced Adapters can configure an Atlas II to bolt right up to our transmission WITHOUT changing adapters. The stock adapters off the 1354s or 4405s have different bolt patterns on the transmission side and will NOT bolt up to our transmission, plus the output shaft on our transmission has the wrong spline count.

Darren
Littleton, CO

-2 inch PA body lift

If you put in a manual transfer case, you also need manual hubs or the t-case will trun all the time. Any ideas for converting the AWD to manual hubs?

For the atlas II you will also need a pigtail from nevada speedo

andrew

darren if you are interested, high country will not do this swap, however fort collins 4x4 will.

rumney 510,

Thanks for the advise, but I won't let anybody but myself work on my truck. Most mechanics I know can't be trusted.

I'm not sure if I'm reading into what your saying correctly, but 98 and up Explorers will need no pigtail for the speedometer because they have no speedo cable. These Explorers get there speed input from a hall-effect sensor on the rear axle. 95-97 Explorers also have no speedo cable, but I'm not sure about the rear axle sensor.

After 94, Explorers did not come with any lock-out hubs. And after 96, Explorers did not come with any front axle disconnects, meaning 97 and up Explorers are meant to be operating all the time with the front end spinning.

Finally, to clarify to everyone who cares. There is no difference in front end components (axles, drive-shafts, hubs, brakes, whatever) between the V6 part-time 4WD Control-Trac Explorer and the AWD V8 Explorer. The only difference lies in the trasfer case. One is AWD and one is part-time 4WD Control-Trac.

Darren
Littleton, CO

-2 inch PA body lift

Darren

I spoke to the mechanic that put an atlas II in ray lobato's v6 explorer and he told me that he needed a new pigtail and was able to purchase it from nevado speedo. Ray also said he some problems with his computer kicking codes..but that it didn't effect drivability....that is why High Country won't do the swap.

andrew

As I said eariler, I'm not sure about that axle sensor on eariler models to 98s. Ray has a 97 Explorer.
Is this "pigtail" for the speed sensor and/or cable?

Darren
Littleton, CO

-2 inch PA body lift

Don't know the answer to that.
I will call fort collins 4x4 who also told me i would need a pigtail and ask them exactly what they are talking about.

andy

More Questions for you then...

Darren,

What about the T-Case out of the 98 up explorers that aren't control track? Is that going to be the same situation as the 4405 and the 1354??? One concern that I have now is the engine kicking codes. Do you know if that is going to be a problem. Also how will you engage the 4X4 and the Low Range??? I know when we talked last about this you were saying to get the bezel that goes around the radio from Ford. That would just have the switch in it and I'm guessing that would work, correct or no???

Please help because I was at the shop and they said that they think my problem may be my T-Case!!! So I need to start looking into this...

Thank,

Heath

If I'm reading all of this correctly (and sorry for switching gears, so to speak!), the easiest conversion might be:

1997 Explorer 4.0 SOHC -> 1997 V8 AWD

I'd only need to get the engine/tranny/transfer-case out of a donor vehicle (1997 or thereabouts), along with the computer.

Does this make sense?

Be careful, you will need a 1997 explorer V8 and wiring for this to work. There were subtle differences in the 1997, 1998, and 1999-2001 Explorer V8s. The biggest changei n wiring between 1997 and 1998. 1998 to 1999-2001 was mainly a returnless fuel system.

would anyone know if you have the air ride level suspension on the newer explorers.. are you able to just change the shocks to bilstiens or would you have to go with the factory "airbag" style stocks?

As long as you want your air-ride system to work, you need to continue using the air-ride shocks.

4HI?

THIS IS A LITTLE OFF THE SUBJECT BUT I HAVE A '95 WITH THAT 4 AUTO, IS THERE A WAY YOU CAN GET 4 HI OUTTA THAT PERMANITLY? I DON'T WANNA PUT IN A NEW TRANSFER CASE BUT I WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS POSSIBLE. ANOTHER THING, ABOUT THIS WHOLE AIRBAG THING, WILL A SET GET RID OF THE SAG IN THE BACK END OF MINE?

First off, don't post in all caps. Second, have you done a search of the site to see if anyone else has done it??? I'm sure someone has tried or accomplished it and you can find some information that way...

As for the air bags in the back end, I believe the air bags were only on 91-94 limiteds, but I don't know that for sure...

Thanks Heath.......

so if i am reading this correctly....

I can take my 96 explorer V-8 awd and with an AA adapter I can install t-case out of a ranger/91-94 explorer with a manual shift and have real 4x4 with NO wiring issues???

I am also going to be swapping in a dana44 solid front with front leafs.....and manual front hubs.

or should i go with a dana 20 t-case?? did scouts have a dana 20? anyone know if AA makes an adapter from the v-8 tranny to that t-case.

I dont really do any heavy 4x4ing.... but i could get the t-case out of the free scout i got my hands on and i have a friend who can rebuilt it for just the cost of the new parts....

Pur Pony - I'm thinking along the same lines for my 97 V8 AWD. I want to convert to Control Trac, I like the idea of the electric Auto4wd for light snow conditions, but being able to gain a locked 4hi and 4low.

I'm also considering supercharging - or building up a ford racing V8. The ControlTrac 4405 is a great T-case - but i wonder how it will hold up with the power of a supercharged V8?

It seems like the weakest point of the case is the front clutch. Can anyone confirm this? or how it will hold up?

Originally posted by V8BoatBuilder
. . .The ControlTrac 4405 is a great T-case - but i wonder how it will hold up with the power of a supercharged V8?

It seems like the weakest point of the case is the front clutch. Can anyone confirm this? or how it will hold up?
The clutch in mine went bad after 50k mi. Granted thats running 33's or 35's for 20k of that. And I seem to be the only one with that problem so far.
I haven't heard of anyone having chain issues (stretching/breaking) with the 4405, but I think some have had with the 1354 t-case with the V6.

I really wouldn't suggest a V8 in front of either, especially a SC'd one. If you're gonna 4 wheel, spend the money and get an Atlas. You won't regret it.

Back