'98 Cobra rims on '97 EB Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 Cobra rims on '97 EB Explorer?

I have a set of 1998 oem Cobra rims (5 spoke with the slight bend in the spokes). i want to put them on my 1997 Eddie Bauer AWD. the cobra rim specs are 17 x 8in 5-114mm, 4.50" bolt circle, 5.72" backspacing. Can i just throw them on the explorer or am i going to have to do a little work on them first? thanks for any info

I've heard 5" bs works with little rubbing up front. 5.72" might be pushing it a bit. Since you already got them, why don't you try them on. Eye ball it somewhat if you're going with bigger tires.

I may just stick to the stock 15 x 8 rims and throw on some 31x10.5x15 tires.

Hello, I have 1996 Cobra wheels on my 98 AWD Mountaineer. I have 27,000 miles on Continental 255/60/17 tires, and I will need tires in the near future.
This size is almost perfect for the speedometer, within one mile an hour on the highway. I bought this tire because it was only $62 each. Now it is over $100, so I will be getting Kumho 265/60's.
Your Cobra wheels may have the same offset, and if so, there will be no rubbing.(The emergency brake cable is close at the left rear, tie it off with a couple of wire ties)
I am about to lose accuracy with new tires anyway, so I might buy 18x8's and use Kumho 265/60/18 Ecsta STX tires.
Good luck.
CDW

CDW
Same tires I have exactly, to die for:)

Back