which rims and tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

which rims and tires?

Hey guys ive searched around alot and im totally lost in what im looking for and stuff. Next spring i wanna get some new rims and tires, I wanna get the 5 spoke cobra rims. I have a 97 explorer sport so if someone could explain all the sizes and whatnot to me as i seem to be a retard. I need to know what yr rims, backspacing and tire size. I wanna lower the truck about 2 inches and use 17 inch rims so if someone could tell me what i need, id REALLY appreciate any help i can get.

Sorry guys but thanx
jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most people go with 17x8 (17x9 is fine also) with 275/55-17 tires. Offset is +24 which will rub a little at full lock. If you did the search as you said you did, well then, you should know this already.

Ebay is flooded with these set up.

thanx yea i did see alot of that when i searched but like i also said well, i was lost but thanx anyways

if you lower it 2" you will get plenty rub with 9 inchers... see if you can survive with 1" of droop... that should do it. Good luck

BTW - I would go to 18"

so dre for around a 1 inch or a little more should i do the torsion twist thing?

TT should be OK for an inch. I've heard that some guys try and get 2" or more but that would require new shocks and camber adjusters... 1" would be safe. IMHO - that will be enough for me.

ok thanx alot Dre yea i will do the TT and most likely get 18s im sure that would be fine, but this wont happen until spring 05' so no big rush

Thanx again
Jay

do some more research before you do... See what works for you... see if 1" would be enough for you. There is plenty of info here...

Back