• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Sport Engine Swap

matt95ssei

Reaction score
City, State
Elliot Lake, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport 4L SOHC
My name is matt im new to the Forum. I got a question for someone with respectable knowledge of engine swaps.

I'm wondering if there is anyone here that knows what would be needed to do an engine swap in a 1998 Explorer Sport. It has a 4.0L SOHC and i want to put a 5.0L in it.
I'm not familiar with ford bolt patterns, and am wondering what version of the 302 i would need. I found 4 of them at my uncles junk yard: 2 in 90-95 thunderbirds, one in a 80's crown victoria and one in a mercury cougar. The intake plenums all seem to be different and the location of the accordian intake tube differs between each.

I've searched the interent and have found nothing of a 97-99 explorer engine swap.

I want to keep the 4x4 operational and am guessing i will need a stronger transmission to handle the power of the 302. If i have to take this route, then im guessing i will also need to get a transfer case that will bolt up to the tranny and be able to handle the power.

I am also ready to scrap the AWD feature (i think it's a p.i.t.a.) and go with a 2wd with High/Low 4x4 . By the way i have 4.10's so i would want to stick with a 5 speed transmission preferablly auto but manual would do just fine :D . A 6-speed manual (if there is one) would be right up my alley.

I was actually thinking of using the ford 302, getting a custom bellhousing adapter to mate the engine with a Chevy 4L80E/Turbo 400 (strongest transmission chevy produced) with a munsee transfercase. :confused: BUT i dont think thats going to happen anytime soon ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See my conversion thread, your truck would be even easier:

You find a 96-00 Explorer 5.0L and pull the drivetrain out, ditch the AWD T case and you ahve to choose what T case to run behind the 4r70W (fancy term for AOD-E with wide ratio gear set and computer controlled)

that will get you started, using a 5.0L Explorer donor is by FAR your best option for this conversion, it will basically bolt in place, you just have to decide what to do about ditching the AWD T case.

So what years would be okay for me to get the donor.

I'm going to call around scarp yards for written off 5.0 explorers, but i have a sweet deal for a running motor out of a scrapped cougar. My uncle wants 50 bucks for it, it runs, idles smooth, doesnt tick, doesn't burn oil but the tranny is screwed. the bell housing is smashed, looks like the torque converter exploded and shrapenal found a way out... I never seen that before in my 19 years of being around cars and race tracks.

Do you know of anyone else who has done this with an explorer sport?
Is there any issues with engine bay clearance? Im going to run an electric fan to shave 2 or 3 inches off the clearance needed and to free a few horsepower

A friend of mine says i should keep the 4.0 and just supercharge it.. I don't think its a good idea because i could get the 5.0 and supercharge that and be making twice the power i could get out of the 4.0 with the same amount of money into it.

it has been done so many times its not even funny.

You might spend $50 for that engine but you are going to spend alot more getting it to fit, trust me when I say the easiest, cheapest, and BEST way to put a 5.0L engine and drivetrain in to your truck is to use a Explorer donor, 96-2000 they came with the pushrod 5.0L GT-40 5.0L. Getting the entire truck is a good idea, or at least everything you will need from one truck saves alot of hassle.

Not only did I just convert my 88 to this setup, I have been involved in several conversions and researched it fvor years.

There are ALOT of advantages to using the explorer engine, it is a late model (ine of the last pushrod small block Ford V8's) 5.0L, GT-40 engine with a very reliable and good automatic tranmission. It was also designed to fit in YOUR TRUCK

Research is your best friend right now.
Dont expect to be blown out of your seats however, the SOHC 4.0L is a good engine and makes plenty of power......

try:
therangerstation.com
rangerpowersports.com
Advanceadapters.com
jamesduff.com

go to Google and type in ranger v8, you can read for days.......

matt95ssei said:
So what years would be okay for me to get the donor.

You mentioned an 80's Crown Vic 302. If you must use a block that old, be sure it's a HO (high output) version. A lot of Crown Vics in those days had a 302 in them, but it only made 160 horsepower. You don't want that.

But if I were doing it, I would do like 410Fortune says and look for a 96-00 V8 Explorer, for the reasons he said. Your front-end is already set up for the 302!

I don't expect a whopping power output from the 302, but i do intend to put a supercharger on it eventually. Thats why i want to start with a V8 because i already have a supercharged V6, it is a good engine for a car with mods i have and i am very impressed with its power output. I'm also impressed with the power of the 4.0 SOHC

So what about my 4.10 gears? how is that going to mate with a 4 speed tranny on the highway? I want to run a reasonable RPM when highway driving. Maybe a custom bellhousing adapter? Does anyone make one?

I have 33" tires, 4.10 R&P and the wide ratio computer controlled 4R70W with a BW 1354 transfer case. at 65 my RPM's are about 2600, but that is estimated because my stock tach has not been calibrated exactly for the new computer (only finished the conversion a month ago)

the nice thing about this setup is the V6 auto likes to hunt gears when climbing long steep hills, the V8 trans has no problem shifting down a gear and holding it to the top of the hill...

Now that I have a V8 I am glad I stuck with 4.10 and not 4.56.
When I go on longer trips (like to Moab, 6-7 hours) I run 35's and with the 4.10's, 4.56 would have been much better for wheeling, but the 4.10's sure will be nice on the gas mileage and the highway ride....

Back