98 ranger xlt 4x4 not working any ideas?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 ranger xlt 4x4 not working any ideas??

buckxlt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 rangerxlt
Hope I'm posting this in the right spot lol,,,ok the 4 wheel drive light comes on in 4 high and 4 low,, you can hear the transfer case working,,,drive shaft from transfer case to front diff is engaged,,with truck jacked up turning one front tire the opposite tire don't spin,,,,is it my hubs? or is there something else not engaging? and ideas any1??

Buck...make SURE the transfer case is engaging...when it isn't engaged you can turn your front driveshaft by hand...when it is engaged you can't(the front driveshaft is locked). If this turns out to be OK, it is your hubs, or a vacuum leak somewhere else. 1 hub is around 2-250$. I said screw it it and purchased a set of Rugged Ridge manual hubs for 230$. Yeah, you have to get out of the vehicle to lock the hubs but you never have to worry about the PVH (pulse vacuum hubs) not working. And yes, you still need to use the 4wd button inside the vehicle as well to engage the transfer case. Installation takes 5 minutes a side. Highly recommended! Search "manual locking hubs" or "ARG manual hubs" to find the 2 links to purchase them. The ARG and Rugged Ridge hubs are the same units, just with a different decal.

Back