98 theft light blinking--not starting.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 theft light blinking--not starting..

lupin

Reaction score
City, State
London,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
Ok, I screwed up..after installing a remote starter myself I decided to finish by installing the PATS bypass module.I was not sure which connector I had to hook up the bypass to so I grabbed the first 4 wire connector I could find and unplugged it,then I put in my key and cranked the engine,it did not start and the theft light blinked rapidly so I figured GREAT I found the right connector.Well after finishing the install I tried to start it but now neither one of my keys works,it just cranks but does not start,the theft light keeps flashing .I unhooked everything I put on but still it wont start.
Did I fry the PATS system or does it just need to be reprogrammed?.Is there anything I can try that might help?.I tried unhooking the battery for 15 min. but no luck.
Has anyone ever had to have theirs reprogrammed,if so how much did it cost?.. :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try using your key to lock and unlock your door then try restarting.

i just had mine fixed today and they replaced that pats system piece and now it works

Any other suggestions?. I will try the key in the door trick tomorrow as suggested by "A WISE GUY"-thanks.If that does not work then what other options do I have (besides having it towed to Ford).I will try anything as long as it wont mess things up anymore.

2000 theft light blinking and won't start

I am currently installing a 1954 Ford Panel truck on a 2000 Ford Explorer chassie which was a roll over that I bought at an insurance salvage sale. When I bought it I had no idea how important the ignition key was . I took the vehicle to the Ford dealership to get a key made. It would not program. They tell me that there is a cut wire somewhere. I have got the 1954 body installed on the Explorer with all wires I could find, repaired. I took it back to the Ford dealsership today and the security system still won't program. When they do a computer diagnosis, it reads that the PAC system is not programmed to the key. Does ANYONE know how to bypass the anti-theft system or what I could do in order for this thing to run. Thanks, Macahaw

I heard that the PATS system can be disabled by a ford dealer,they have to hook into the OBD2 and change the programming?....I asked my dealer and he said they have never done this before but it may be possible.

Try pushing in the plug that goes to the key sensor around the ingition(green plug),mine was loose and they were unable to program my keys.

I appreciate your input. I'll call the dealership and see if this information will help. If you have any other suggestions, I'm more than enthused to consider them. I'm about at my wits end - and I think the fellows at the dealership here are too. It's been quite a puzzling situation and I'm in a quandry as to what to do next. All input appreciated.

Back