99 4.0 SOHC Block Heater Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 4.0 SOHC Block Heater Installation

99SportX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
Hey all,

I recently ordered a freeze plug engine block heater for my 99 4.0 SOHC. I am going to install it myself and was wondering if anyone has done this before and could offer any tips? Where on the engine was the factory installed 4.0 SOHC block heater installed? I have never knocked out a freeze plug before so I really want to make sure I don't screw it up.

I am also thinking of putting a space heater on the interior that will turn on an hour before I leave for work in the morning so I can melt the frost off the windows.

The block heater will be on a timer as well because there is no need for it to run all night. I just want faster warmup without having the vehicle idle for long periods.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

knocking out a freeze plug is simple. take a hammer and a screwdriver, knock around the edge of the plug till you can grab it with pliers, and pull it out. i think the block heater is on the passengers front plug. but, if i where you, do not put a interior car warmer inside of it. seen a few car fires because of those, or melted dashes and whatnot.

Thanks for the info. Per this link from Phillips and Temro, I have determined that the RF location you stated is correct. http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/Use...art_Application_Guide_and_Product_catalog.pdf

Hopefully I will be able to gain access to this location with relative ease. I am going to have to scope it out.

An electric heater is definitely a safety issue. I am going to think about it some more or see if I can find a way that would virtually eliminate most all risk.

edit: I took a look at the truck outside and with the 3" body lift I can bend the felxible portion of the inner fender out of the way and I have a clear view of the freeze plug. Without the body lift one would probably have to remove the inner fender, but I think I can get away without it.

I will be installing the heater this weekend. Winter seems to be coming early this year and I want to be ready for the sub zero temps.

wait a second! at first i didn't recognize your screen name and then........! you mean to tell me you where able to put a 5L in your sport, but are having problems putting a block heater in!!!! lol, sorry, just bugging you. at the moment, i am in the proses of pulling a sohc to put it into another explorer. i have the front accessories off the front of the motor right now. if you need, i can take a picture of the heater for you if you need any kind of reference.

Hey now, don't give me any crap! lol A pic would be great, just to be sure and for others to see that have the same question. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

Block heaters really have not been discussed much on this site, surprisingly. I figured there would be a thread discussing the install somewhere but I found nothing.

I would appreciate a picture. I am wanting to add a block heater to my '06.

My '93 has one - it is definitely nice to start the engine after the heater has been on for an hour or so. The oil is thinned, and flows to the top of the engine very quickly.

Eric, if you do install something inside, make it 110v instead of 12v. I installed one under my front seat long long ago, the output of any 12v device will be poor. If you are going to have a 110v input, then only use a heater that will work with that. I think you can get more wattage with 110v, and not hurt the battery.

You bet it will be 110V Don. I found a couple options made specifically for cars and trucks, but they are more expensive than a comparable wattage indoor heater.

Block heaters really have not been discussed much on this site, surprisingly. I figured there would be a thread discussing the install somewhere but I found nothing.

They get installed as standard fare up here in Canuckistan. :D

k, here is some pictures. keep in mind that these are with the alt, bracket, and tensioner off.

j59oqu.jpg

2iqh5km.jpg

and if you look through the splash shield

2emzf9e.jpg

Thanks for the pics, I am quite thankful that I don't have to pull an exhaust manifold. lol

Brad, my sport originally had a block heater and was from North Dakota, but my donor truck for the V8 was sold at a dealer about 150 mi south of here, and did not come with one. My dads mounty came with one but it is from the area. It is a pretty standard option here, but not far south it is not. My XLT was from south of here so I am not surprised it does not have the option.

I recieved the heater today. It came from Jegs, just because I happened to find it there. It is made by Phillips and Temro but in Jegs packaging. 1-1/2" freeze plug size, common on V6 and V8 fords, but make sure to check their applicaton guide. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/51120/10002/-1

I am going to have to buy coolant before I can install it though. A lot will need to be drained. Might as well replace it all.

Smear a bead of RTV over the seam of the freeze plug when finished. Corrosion there is about the only thing that can make the plugs fail.

Well, the install is done. I will upload some pics later.

I should have pulled the lower radiator hose to get more coolant out of the block. The radiator was drained, but there was still a ton of coolant in the block. When I spun the freeze plug it was like Niagara falls. lol Drain pan caught most all of it though.

block_heater.jpg

before.jpg

no_plug.jpg

installed.jpg

finished.jpg

sorry for the rant, but i would have put the cord through the opening of the bumper. that way when the wind and what not wont beat up on the head light. my 2 cents thats all. great pics by the way. how long did it take to put it in?

Yeah, I am not completely sold on the location I chose for the cord. I wanted it in that vicinity for convenience because of the way I will be parking near the outlet, but we will see. All I have to do to tuck it away in the warmer months is pull the parking light out and put it behind.

I know the factory location is in the bumper opening but I wasn't a fan of that spot so I tried something different. It is easy enough to move if I decide. I don't care about this truck the way I care about my sport. If it works and does not make annoying noises I could care less about slight cosmetic damage. Heck, I have a 4ft long crack in the windshield, haha. Gonna get to that soon...

The install was incredibly easy with the body lift. I didn't even jack the truck up or remove the tire to get access into the wheel well.

I just drained the coolant and then hit the edge of the freeze plug with a large flat head and hammer. It spun 90 degrees and I pulled it out with a pliers. Then I cleaned the opening out to make sure there was no debris. I put a little rtv on the outer metal lip of the block heater, not the o-ring itself. This will seal against potential corrosion getting to the sealing surfaces down the road. Popped it in, tightened the bolt to expand the tabs that hold it in, and routed the wire. I put some split loom around the cord that I had in the garage just to protect it more. Refilled the system, and done. Have not tested it yet.

Nice, I like those easy jobs. Was that better than an ATF bath?

Yes, far better than an ATF bath. lol My only frustration right now is with those aftermarket front hubs I purchased. They are throwing ABS lights every once in a while. I believe it is because due to a poor machining tolerance which leads to the sensor being an out of spec distance from the tone ring. I will get it resolved though. If not I will pull the ABS fuse and bulb, haha. ABS off road can cause more harm than good anyway.

You might try swapping the old ABS sensors into them. I haven't needed to so far with mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Already did that Don. Problem still exists. It is definitely a tolerance issue. I am pretty confident it is incorrect spacing between the pickup on the sensor and the tone ring.

Back