99 Explorer 4x4,loud clunk and binding when turning. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer 4x4,loud clunk and binding when turning.

jeffy351

Reaction score
City, State
Holly,Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4x4
1999 Explorer,auto 4wd. the 4x4 hi and 4x4 lo lights flashs on and off sometimes. and while im turning on dry pavement not in 4x4 it tries to engage and jumps and makes a loud noise.It feels like it is binding up and then makes a loud clunk and frees up.I replaced a wheel bearing and cv axle with no different results.The binding and clunking is not normal 4x4 sounds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go check if your upper control arms are loose, tighten them up not just wiggle the tire

I checked them and they are tight.Any other suggestions?

A 4wd system binding when it shouldn't is an indication of one of two things: Either an electrical gremlin causing the system to (erroneously) lock the t-case when it shouldn't, or a bad transfer case that's damaged internally and locked-up.

The easiest way to pin it down to those two choices is to make a tight turn in a parking lot and verify it's binding. Then, stop, crawl under the truck and unplug the transfer case connector. Then, try making a tight turn again and see if the problem persists. If it does, you've got a transfer case issue. If it goes away with the case unplugged, you've got an electrical issue.

Start there, report back, and we'll see what you can do. :)

Oh, and the upper control arms have nothing to do with it.... That came out of left field...

Upper control arm will bind up too, I know from first hand..so it didnt "come out of left field" lol

I would get a big loud thumping and would leave black marks while turning sharp

A 4wd system binding when it shouldn't is an indication of one of two things: Either an electrical gremlin causing the system to (erroneously) lock the t-case when it shouldn't, or a bad transfer case that's damaged internally and locked-up.

The easiest way to pin it down to those two choices is to make a tight turn in a parking lot and verify it's binding. Then, stop, crawl under the truck and unplug the transfer case connector. Then, try making a tight turn again and see if the problem persists. If it does, you've got a transfer case issue. If it goes away with the case unplugged, you've got an electrical issue.

Start there, report back, and we'll see what you can do. :)

Oh, and the upper control arms have nothing to do with it.... That came out of left field...
What does the transfer case connector look like?

same thing happened to me dude

It's on the back of the transfer case, mounted on or next to the shift motor.

It's on the back of the transfer case, mounted on or next to the shift motor.

Ditto. Find the t-case shift motor and follow the harness... IIRC, it's about 4" from the shift motor.

same thing happened to me dude

Uuuh, not possible. The system in a 93 is entirely different from the wheels to the transmission. Although yours may have exhibited the same symptoms, I can guarantee you didn't have the same problem.

-Joe

Ditto. Find the t-case shift motor and follow the harness... IIRC, it's about 4" from the shift motor.

Uuuh, not possible. The system in a 93 is entirely different from the wheels to the transmission. Although yours may have exhibited the same symptoms, I can guarantee you didn't have the same problem.

-Joe

I unplugged the harness and did a few circles,it did not bind up.

OK, well, the good news is that there's nothing wrong with your transfer case. The bad news is that there's some reason the control system thinks it needs to be engaging the 4wd. That could be for a number of different reasons. The really bad news is that without an NGS or WDS scanner, there's no way to monitor the GEM PIDs and see what exactly is triggering the system. Odds are it's a wheel speed sensor or axle speed sensor erroneously dropping the signal, making the system incorrectly think you've got a wheel slipping when it's not. However, again, without a proper diagnostic scan to see exactly what the GEM is seeing, there's no way to know for sure, and no other easy way to troubleshoot it from there...

As much as I hate to recommend it, the best bet may be a trip to the stealership. (and I'm usually the last to recommend that!!) They'll have the tools to troubleshoot the system, but don't let them throw parts at it. There are specific troubleshooting procedures for them to follow, and they should do just that. They should be able to explain not only what you need, but WHY they think you need it. (i.e. what specifically led them to that conclusion).

Sorry I can't help much more than that...

-Joe

OK, well, the good news is that there's nothing wrong with your transfer case. The bad news is that there's some reason the control system thinks it needs to be engaging the 4wd. That could be for a number of different reasons. The really bad news is that without an NGS or WDS scanner, there's no way to monitor the GEM PIDs and see what exactly is triggering the system. Odds are it's a wheel speed sensor or axle speed sensor erroneously dropping the signal, making the system incorrectly think you've got a wheel slipping when it's not. However, again, without a proper diagnostic scan to see exactly what the GEM is seeing, there's no way to know for sure, and no other easy way to troubleshoot it from there...

As much as I hate to recommend it, the best bet may be a trip to the stealership. (and I'm usually the last to recommend that!!) They'll have the tools to troubleshoot the system, but don't let them throw parts at it. There are specific troubleshooting procedures for them to follow, and they should do just that. They should be able to explain not only what you need, but WHY they think you need it. (i.e. what specifically led them to that conclusion).

Sorry I can't help much more than that...

-Joe

Will the brown wire mod eliminate my problem?

Depends on how you identify the problem... The brown wire mod *could* stop the binding, but it doesn't fix the underlying cause which, in my opinion, is what I would call the real problem.

Back