'99 ohv 4.0 cam build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 ohv 4.0 cam build

Im new to the forum, wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice. Goal is to cam it, head milling,porting and polishing, and a single 2.5inch exhaust with a good 87 octane tune. Motor has 153k on it. All stock car. Parts list so far:

Sealed Power ZH2244 roller lifters, $40 a piece
Comp 49-422-8 camshaft, $300

As you can tell I need some advice on rods, valve springs, rocker arms, and gaskets, or anything else

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new rocker arms (Sealed power) and smith bros push rods. Im not sure on the length of push rod you will need. You will have to go longer for sure.

yea I was looking into the smith bros pushrods. Ive been looking for a roller rocker setup but I havent had much luck. If i cant find any roller rockers I'll go with the sealed power. I need it to run super smooth, as this is my daily driver. Also it seems like people are having good success with the comp 988-12 springs so unless i hear otherwise Ill go with those

Perfect. If you find roller rockers, let me know.

yea real good luck:eek:

Come on guys..... :D
You just never know what someone else might find.

I know, some pretty heavy hitters have tried. Sure would be awesome though.

roller rockers lol

Ive looked and called many many places. It seems as though none are currently available, and if there were any, I assume they would run between 400 and $600 a set. Ill order the rockers last, sealed power most likely. From what I understand they can tempered in an oven in the correct heat and duration

Ive looked and called many many places. It seems as though none are currently available, and if there were any, I assume they would run between 400 and $600 a set. Ill order the rockers last, sealed power most likely. From what I understand they can tempered in an oven in the correct heat and duration

They dont make them,been trying for two years to find a set.do not put them in a oven they come heat treated!!go to advance auto online and order them,they are the cheapest around think $10 a piece and use discount code Raf7ja1102 that will say you $35 comes to like $80-90 something for a set

Ps hope you kno your heads have to be machined to fit those dual springs (988). Pushrods are 5.550 also

ok yea I was wondering if they were already treated. And unfortunately I have not had much engine building experience. Do the valve seats and guides need to be cut? Or do you know of other springs that will work with the 422 cam that will not require cylinder head machining?

ok yea I was wondering if they were already treated. And unfortunately I have not had much engine building experience. Do the valve seats and guides need to be cut? Or do you know of other springs that will work with the 422 cam that will not require cylinder head machining?

Seats yes, guides are very close some have not trimmed them and been fine.no the 988 are the only springs that will work

If you have the money i highly suggest new valves also.SI makes a stainless steel one piece valve,stock is two pieces and have been known to break under the added pressure of the springs.they flow better also;)

hmmm interesting. Valve seat and guide work shouldnt be a problem. I am def going to look into the si valves. I need it to be strong enough to were I wont have any fear of running it hard. Tomo Im going to contact Comp Cam and find out if their 851-12 roller lifters will work. Im hoping to start this build in 5 weeks between school sessions. so I want to have EVERYTHING I need so Im not waiting on parts to arrive as I will have one week to complete it. Thanks for all the advice so far, I really appreciate it

hmmm interesting. Valve seat and guide work shouldnt be a problem. I am def going to look into the si valves. I need it to be strong enough to were I wont have any fear of running it hard. Tomo Im going to contact Comp Cam and find out if their 851-12 roller lifters will work. Im hoping to start this build in 5 weeks between school sessions. so I want to have EVERYTHING I need so Im not waiting on parts to arrive as I will have one week to complete it. Thanks for all the advice so far, I really appreciate it

I would just use sealed power lifters.

wow I just realized that lifters are quite expensive. Would it be possible to just take them apart and clean them up, or would I need new ones with the 422 cam and 988 springs?

wow I just realized that lifters are quite expensive. Would it be possible to just take them apart and clean them up, or would I need new ones with the 422 cam and 988 springs?

Haha yea quite expensive!!yea you can clean them,take and soak them in carburetor cleaner for a day or two.take and break them all the way down and clean the insides,there is two plungers and a spring.make sure both move freely after

Yea Ill let those suckers soak while i replace the clutch and port the heads. So my parts list is currently the 422 cam, 988 springs, si valves, smith bros rods, and sealed power rockers. Now Ive read some on guys using mustang 70mm maf. Is that necessary in your opinion?

Yea Ill let those suckers soak while i replace the clutch and port the heads. So my parts list is currently the 422 cam, 988 springs, si valves, smith bros rods, and sealed power rockers. Now Ive read some on guys using mustang 70mm maf. Is that necessary in your opinion?

You going to do any tuning?if not then a bigger maf is a waste.you know port work is VERY Expensive also,taking close to a grand for head port work.if your doing all that you need to p+p the lower intake manifold also and go to a larger tb.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes Im going to get it tuned. Im porting the heads and lower intake myself. Then have the heads milled .030. I have some experience in that area. I was hoping I could get away without dropping $230 on a bbk TB

Back