'99X Sport 4x4 OHV, clunking/slipping at 30-40MPH | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99X Sport 4x4 OHV, clunking/slipping at 30-40MPH

powermatt99

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
First Post.

I just got my first Explorer. 1999 Sport, OHV. 97,XXXK mi. 4x4. Stock.

I noticed today driving into work a faint clunking or minor slipping between 30-40mph. The transmission behaves fine while accelerating and at freeway speeds. I thought perhaps it was trying to get into OD so I turned the OD off and the problem persisted. I actually don't even know for sure if this is a trans issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advise would be appreciated. I read about 25 pages of posts and couldn't find anything conclusive. Searching for such a broad topic was superfluous.

Matt, is it doing it as the transmission is shifting, or while you are driving? Have you checked your fluid? When was the last fluid/filter change? To me, clunking is entirely different than slipping.

It is not doing it while shifting, only while in top gear (OD or 4th if OD off). I only notice it slightly but I feel it more than hear it. The fluid level is good and to my knowledge the filter has never been changed. When I checked the fluid level, it smelled fine. (To be honest, I had no idea the transmission had a filter to change until I joined this site.) I found a place in town to do a transmission "tune up" complete with new fluid and filter. I can't do any work myself. I own a condo and the association has banned car work on the property.

Back