a bit confused...need some guidance to wrap my head around this! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a bit confused...need some guidance to wrap my head around this!

yeah jon, the noise definitely intensifies when veering left...

soooo...went to the shop for a rundown. front diff is ok. pinion seal is leaking, but i knew that. axle seal (if i remember correctly) is leaking... front diff full of fluid, clean. rear diff fluid is a bit mucky. tranny fluid is "burnt" as he said, guess i need a flush. t-case fluids are "muddy" looking. ujoints ok, left cv ok, right cv has some "play" but it's not extreme. meh. guess i'll get the fluids changed since it's time anyway, on the fence with the CV. i just want to make it home for thanksgiving, haha.

DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION. Flushing causes more problems than it solves. Change the fluid and filter and nothing more. Do that regularly and the trans will last a good long time. Flushing a trans that hasn't had its fluid change in a long time creates more issues than it solves. It strips all the particles from where they've accumulated, and can easily lodge those particles in valves and orfices where they shouldn't be. It's seldom worthwhile.

yeah jon, the noise definitely intensifies when veering left...

Check the right hub/bearing assembly then. Veering left transfers the load to the right side of the vehicle. No need for blocks of wood or fancy jacks though. Set the parking brake, chock the rear wheels, and use the factory jack on the factory jacking point on the right lower control arm. (Pictures are in the owner's manual) The factory jack will have plenty of travel to get the front wheel off the ground.

thanks for the info.... i was just getting ready to head out and do that and i'll check the front. i assumed left but you make more sense!

thanks for the trans information.. i really don't know too much about that. i'll just get it changed and no flush, that's cheaper anyway!

Back