A/C clutch on 04 Eddie Bauer not engaging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C clutch on 04 Eddie Bauer not engaging

IndyJonesNYS

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 V8 with 76k miles and the a/c recently started blowing hot air, the a/c clutch is also not engaging with the a/c turned on, I've checked (and also tried jumping the low side a/c switch with a paperclip on the passenger side fenderwell) all the fuses and relay 52 (located on the drivers side fenderwell) in the Owners manual by replacing it and still the a/c clutch will not engage. I've attached a can of r134 to the low side pressure port with a gauge and the pressure is high (obviously because it's off) and still no outcome. I am at a loss here as the 2 relays are good and so is the low pressure switch. I've even checked the connections under the vehicle and on the compressor and clutch and still not able to get the clutch to fire. The system also has no leaks and I have a can of freon ready to put in I just need advice to carefully engage the clutch one final time to recharge the system... any advice other than having a dealer rake me through 500 bucks would greatly be appreciated.

Same thing here if you figure it out please let me know. 02 explorer 4.6. Limited. My ac clutch won't engage. I have just replaced the whole compressor cleaned everything and it was working great. I was taking parts back to napa and it just stopped. I still have pressure and everything is good, but the clutch wont even click. I checked if i had power to the field coil and i did then I i tested the coil and i was shorted out. So i just replaced that, and now still no luck. I don't even have power to the coil any more, upon inspection i found that the little wires on the plug melted together, so I fixed that and still nothing. All fuses and relays are good, car even idles up when i push the ac button, but now i have no power to the clutch. If anyone has figured this out please help me. I have even replaces high and low side sensors. Even jumped them. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

if there is no refrigerant on the AC (after evac and vacuum) the clutch will never engage. It's better to 1) jump the low pressure switch using paper clip 2) add more refrigerant until it kicks in.

Trying to verify if the paper-clip is inserted properly, the paper clip is inserted into the connector (not on the low pressure switch) There's 2 holes that has contacts in it the other 2 don't have it. Make sure you're shorting the 2 contacts.

Try switching the FOG relay with AC Clutch Relay and see if the fog lights otherwise relay is broken (if fog relay is good it could engage your clutch)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...35739747.83087.110528882348605&type=1&theater

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

I have tried everything else and I know everything is correct my only thing I'm not sure of is this sun force sensor that senses day light and heat on each side to adjust the dual climate control and auto matic headlamp switch are not working automatically that is the only thing left to the puzzle

Back