2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer AC problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer AC problems

ddaniel58

Reaction score
City, State
Frankfort, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I'm so happy to find this site. I've got a 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer that I just love and do all the work to that I can. About 50% of the time I get stumped and need help maybe this site will be better than most of the knuckleheads I get advice from. On to my problem My A/C compressor has shutdown I'm Fairly convinced that the compressor is good it's only two years old and I can apply 12 volts to the clutch and it kicks in and supplies cold air. I have checked both the cycling pressure switch and high pressure switch they both are providing ground. The schematic says that the switches are wired to the PCM and the PCM provides the ground for the A/C clutch relay. If I pull my A/C Clutch relay and apply voltage to pin 5 my clutch still doesn't pull in nor do I get voltage at the clutch. Is there anything else between the relay and the clutch? My relay bench tests OK. How can I check it while its plugged in?
Any and all help will be appreciated!

..Welcome here..:D

..Did you already get some help with this or are you still needing some assistance?

..Where did you get the compressor from and do you have a brand/part number of it?

Per the 04 Ford wiring diagram book, there 2 things between the terminal/pin 5 on the A/C Clutch Relay and the clutch solenoid.

One is Joint Connector 2. This joint takes the output from the relay and splits one line to the clutch and one line to an A/C Indicator diode (C1085) located also in the Battery Junction Box. A note states the diode is there to absorb the spike from the collapsing field of the clutch solenoid.

The other item is connector C139 which is located right next to the battery cover on the engine side. It should have 5 wires connecting through it. Pin 6 is the hot (GY/WH) and Pin 5 is the ground (BK). Make sure that connector is seated fully.

Back