• Register Today It's free!

A/c compressor help!

thor1701

Reaction score
City, State
fresno ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
ok, i got my truck a little over a year ago....the ac never worked, i was not told what was wrong with it, just figured no r-134a in it, so i didn't mess with it cuz at the time i didn't have the money, anyways about a few months ago i started to hear this really loud kind of grinding noise....found out it was the bearings in my compressor clutch, i did not know jack about replacing the clutch, i even posted hear looking for help.....not 1 reply......so i bought a shorter belt and just bypassed the thing, i figured i would replace the compressor when i had the money, so got a used one off ebay that was said to be fully working and tested........so i pull the old one off the truck, come to find out there was a little refrigerant left in it...so put the new one on and whatnot....bought me a can of "EZ Chill R-134a Refill with Oil, and Leak Sealer (12 oz.) by Interdynamics " at walmart, it did not come with a hose, but i already had a hose with a gauge on it....so turned the truck on, turned the a/c on to max, connected the can to the hose and then to the low side port, and started to fill it, i only put a little in it as the gauge was reading in the blue which i thought was odd, but the compressor was not coming on at all, so i stopped filling before it went into the red, i can detect no leaks, no broken connections, no blown fuses, i dont know how to manually make the compressor turn on, so looking for idea's suggestions or whatever help i can get, as i said the low pressure port reads as filled, but compressor will not engage

i have a 96 explorer EB 4.0L v6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, i got my truck a little over a year ago....the ac never worked, i was not told what was wrong with it, just figured no r-134a in it, so i didn't mess with it cuz at the time i didn't have the money, anyways about a few months ago i started to hear this really loud kind of grinding noise....found out it was the bearings in my compressor clutch, i did not know jack about replacing the clutch, i even posted hear looking for help.....not 1 reply......so i bought a shorter belt and just bypassed the thing, i figured i would replace the compressor when i had the money, so got a used one off ebay that was said to be fully working and tested........so i pull the old one off the truck, come to find out there was a little refrigerant left in it...so put the new one on and whatnot....bought me a can of "EZ Chill R-134a Refill with Oil, and Leak Sealer (12 oz.) by Interdynamics " at walmart, it did not come with a hose, but i already had a hose with a gauge on it....so turned the truck on, turned the a/c on to max, connected the can to the hose and then to the low side port, and started to fill it, i only put a little in it as the gauge was reading in the blue which i thought was odd, but the compressor was not coming on at all, so i stopped filling before it went into the red, i can detect no leaks, no broken connections, no blown fuses, i dont know how to manually make the compressor turn on, so looking for idea's suggestions or whatever help i can get, as i said the low pressure port reads as filled, but compressor will not engage

i have a 96 explorer EB 4.0L v6
Most likely a plugged orfice at the accumulater. I would replace them before you ruin something else. Then you should be able to charge the system. Everyone will tell you that you have to evacuate (pull vacuum) the system beford charging. I personally never have, and have never had a problem. But that part is up to you. Hope this helps you get cold air.

You may have to bypass the low pressure cutoff switch to get the compressor to start. Once it starts, it will draw in some refrigerant and you might start to get some cold air. There may be some other issues or clogs as previuosly mentioned. Drawing a vacuum is definitely a good idea. You might be able to get a Jiffy Lube type place to vacuum and refill for you.

i saw a post where someone used a paper clip to bypass the switch and turn the compressor on, where is the low pressure cut off switch located? i know there is an electrical connector right near where you charge the ac, and there's a connector at the back of the compressor thats connected to a sensor

1) The correct way to recharge a system that's been opened is to evacuate and charge by weight from the vacuum state.
2) The reason your compressor isn't coming on is because there isn't enough R134 charge to make the low pressure switch activate.

Drop the vehicle off at a shop that has an A/C tech machine and let them evacuate and recharge the system. You'll have ice cold a/c if all your components are in working order.

i have to do this myself as i no longer have the money to take it to a shop,
i did recharge it useing that can, i've done it on other cars before, also did it on my 91 when switching from r 12 to 134
i will try to bypass the cut off switch once i figure out where it is and see if that turns the compressor on or not

Back