• Register Today It's free!

Procharged 2003

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
City, State
GB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Hello all. I’m building the 2nd craziest 4 door X I’m aware of existing.
Back in about 2006 this was the first explorer to wear a kenne bell, making 425 horsepower on a stock block. The prior owner was working on the next phase of the build when life happened. 7200 miles on the body.
I acquired it in January, and decided to go a little different direction with it.
It’s got a VT engines 8.5:1 block, ported heads, stage 2 blower cams, art carr 4r70w swapped, aeromotive a1000 fuel system, and I decided the right way to top that off was a D1sc procharger and an SVO intake ported to PI heads. Currently remote tuning with Mo’s Speed Shop, hoping to see 600hp on about 15lbs of boost. The fuel cell means the 3” exhaust has nowhere to go past the axle... so it’s got side pipes.
Then some other stuff too. Aviator brakes, 06 tails, etc.

Attachments

• 66D49AF3-41F3-49B4-AE32-4B9306A29834.jpeg
    66D49AF3-41F3-49B4-AE32-4B9306A29834.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 151
  • A9B99B8A-A4D2-4F59-9FB8-46DAAB53AEB1.jpeg
    A9B99B8A-A4D2-4F59-9FB8-46DAAB53AEB1.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 2BB330F9-2CB7-4F55-85AB-B6B78844B968.jpeg
    2BB330F9-2CB7-4F55-85AB-B6B78844B968.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 7BE944F5-C0F9-4718-95CA-20E7CA3AB320.jpeg
    7BE944F5-C0F9-4718-95CA-20E7CA3AB320.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 158
  • CEDC115F-17AE-4D39-B829-93DABDFBF0F5.jpeg
    CEDC115F-17AE-4D39-B829-93DABDFBF0F5.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 149
  • AAA6D2BC-4F23-48DD-B061-7612888E08CC.jpeg
    AAA6D2BC-4F23-48DD-B061-7612888E08CC.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 158
  • EBF04B5F-AEED-4DA4-946D-4319856D0B2D.jpeg
    EBF04B5F-AEED-4DA4-946D-4319856D0B2D.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 162
  • 3A34B169-6E2D-4213-A5B9-A3E09960CE57.jpeg
    3A34B169-6E2D-4213-A5B9-A3E09960CE57.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 170
  • C26C8F42-F918-4601-8DA1-9F0E661AE348.jpeg
    C26C8F42-F918-4601-8DA1-9F0E661AE348.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 70050690-DC8E-427A-AB64-DCCB4D540038.jpeg
    70050690-DC8E-427A-AB64-DCCB4D540038.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 158

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool. I always liked that truck, he did a lot of great things with it. I'd have stuck with the KB, but he did choose the 2WD so traction is a consideration. keep at it, we love the wild stuff.

Cool. I always liked that truck, he did a lot of great things with it. I'd have stuck with the KB, but he did choose the 2WD so traction is a consideration. keep at it, we love the wild stuff.
Traction was a big part of what drove me to this path. The other part was finding a D1sc kit for an f150 for a pretty good price. I’m still torn on the decision honestly. It’s a tight fit between the valve cover and hood, but with some clearancing of both, it fits.

Traction was a big part of what drove me to this path. The other part was finding a D1sc kit for an f150 for a pretty good price. I’m still torn on the decision honestly. It’s a tight fit between the valve cover and hood, but with some clearancing of both, it fits.
I figured that, he was aiming the truck at the track for the most part, not really as a DD or many street miles. I was wishing for an Aviator way back when, and the KB for it like the 03/04 Cobra. Your truck is as close as anyone has gotten to that idea. Now we are competing with some very special late engine technology, hard to compare with. I'm older and starting new projects is unlikely, I'm hoping to find an MKZ for a fun small car to last me forever.

I figured that, he was aiming the truck at the track for the most part, not really as a DD or many street miles. I was wishing for an Aviator way back when, and the KB for it like the 03/04 Cobra. Your truck is as close as anyone has gotten to that idea. Now we are competing with some very special late engine technology, hard to compare with. I'm older and starting new projects is unlikely, I'm hoping to find an MKZ for a fun small car to last me forever.
The guy who built “Dora the Ford Explorer” has me smoked. 5.4 with a 3.2 kenne bell, 4x4. That build is fully nuts.

I hadn't heard of that one, I figured a 5.4 would fit easily in those bigger bodies. I pondered the KB size choice when I found my 2.2 model. The only one since then which was promising(price and condition) was a 2.8, and I thought that was much too big. I hope the 2.2 can get it done without pushing the rpm's of it too high.

Yeah, this used to wear a 2.2, he was chasing 625hp. I woulda loved to find another for it but new was not in my price range, and finding one of those used was going to take forever.

Yeah, this used to wear a 2.2, he was chasing 625hp. I woulda loved to find another for it but new was not in my price range, and finding one of those used was going to take forever.

Yes, they are getting rarer now. I got mine, wow, maybe 13 years ago, and the 2.8 I mentioned was $1800 and had low mileage, it was an early water cooled model. I didn't have lots of money for extra stuff back then, or I might have bought it in case. I've looked for a 2.4 as that might be another good size, but those were super scarce when new, and 2.6's weren't made long while the 2.8 got to be popular. After 2.8 the cases got larger overall, the 2.2 to 2.8's had two case lengths, I forgot what the cut off of those is. I think the 2.4/2.6/2.8 are the same length, but I'm not sure.

Do you have any extra parts from the KB stuff? I need a short snout, the SN95 drive idler pulley/bracket, or an inlet manifold. The rest I'll have to fabricate.

Welcome.

Yes, they are getting rarer now. I got mine, wow, maybe 13 years ago, and the 2.8 I mentioned was $1800 and had low mileage, it was an early water cooled model. I didn't have lots of money for extra stuff back then, or I might have bought it in case. I've looked for a 2.4 as that might be another good size, but those were super scarce when new, and 2.6's weren't made long while the 2.8 got to be popular. After 2.8 the cases got larger overall, the 2.2 to 2.8's had two case lengths, I forgot what the cut off of those is. I think the 2.4/2.6/2.8 are the same length, but I'm not sure.

Do you have any extra parts from the KB stuff? I need a short snout, the SN95 drive idler pulley/bracket, or an inlet manifold. The rest I'll have to fabricate.
The only thing from that setup I have is a 3.5” 8 rib alt pulley.
I woulda bought the 2.8 for that in a heartbeat.

As of today (About 6 months after acquiring the build): it’s a real vehicle. It runs, it drives. It presumably keeps itself cool.
I tried to get a datalog (and failed) with the maf straightener and new radiator. It drives reasonably smooth, still tune work to do, but Jeff definitely knows his stuff. This should be a lot of fun.

It presumably keeps itself cool.
I may have been premature with this... Seems I'm still struggling to bring the temp down. After a couple hard pulls it seems to want to park itself at about 210. Its nice that it doesn't go up... but I need it to come back down. Maybe I need a bigger fan to pull air through the rad/intercooler combo...

Can the intercooler be lowered some to uncover more of the radiator? It's a concern to have more and more things in the airflow coming in the front grille etc. I'm hoping I can have a large long one behind my bumper, and keep the radiator clear above. I've considered trying to move the AC condenser forward if possible and put the trans cooler between it and the radiator. It's a puzzle.

Can the intercooler be lowered some to uncover more of the radiator? It's a concern to have more and more things in the airflow coming in the front grille etc. I'm hoping I can have a large long one behind my bumper, and keep the radiator clear above. I've considered trying to move the AC condenser forward if possible and put the trans cooler between it and the radiator. It's a puzzle.
No. For one, moving the holes down for the charge pipes would put them squarely in the ABS module (and other difficult to move things, if I recall), but equally problematic would be chopping up the core support which the bottom of the intercooler is directly bolted to.
The AC condenser won't be able to move forward (I deleted mine), but theres probably a solid inch and a half between the between the condenser and the rad where the stock tow package cooler sits, so unless yours is different from mine, adding one there (it lives on the bottom), or above it would require minimal to no modification, especially if you're willing to zip tie it directly to the radiator or the condenser. Making a cross-brace between the 2 pieces of the OE rad bracketry wouldn't be terribly difficult either if you wanted to make a better mount system. There should be enough room for all the trans cooler you want without moving anything else.

I had originally planned to mount the radiator much lower to give it clean air, but the problems that would introduce from a purging standpoint, as well as hose routing caused me to go with a traditional location. Having decided that, I bought one that is too wide to go between the frame rails, so I'm pretty much committed to this now. My current rad fans are rated at 2500cfm, but don't feel like they're putting out anywhere near that. I have a 16" spal rated for I think 2000cfm or so that I'm debating putting in without a shroud to see how it does... and go from there. I can still go to a high flow pump, add more fan, add an oil cooler.... lots of routes to take, but most of them get pricy fast.

Yeah, you are at the last stages of parts locations. Making it all fit and do what is needed, keep at it slowly.

Yeah, you are at the last stages of parts locations. Making it all fit and do what is needed, keep at it slowly.
I'm hopeful that a big ass fan is all it needs.. I know for a fact that this radiator has kept a BBF wearing an 871 cool, so the capacity is there. The only questions are if I have adequate flow. new gates water pump should be doing its job, leaving airflow as the likely culprit. Heres hoping its that simple.

Yes, I'd say that too. These all have great big radiators, and generally enough grille area.

In my 2nd gens I have seen temps on the highway of under 140 in cool weather(stuck open T'stat(Failsafe model)). I drove for a long while with that bad T'stat, part of the Winter and had to cover the radiator like old people used to do. In Summer at 90+ degrees, it would get into the 170's, but liked the low 160's. That was delivering mail, lots of stopping and lots of gas. So the capacity is there.

I have one electric fan to try for my keeper 98, it's a Flexlite 190 model, very thin and has 16" blades. I have less space in the 302 trucks, so not many fans can go in these. I'm aiming for temps below 180 on hot days, using a 160 T'stat and electric fan controller(DCC). If it can do that I'll be happy, but the heat exchanger and large trans cooler are unknowns.

Yes, I'd say that too. These all have great big radiators, and generally enough grille area.

In my 2nd gens I have seen temps on the highway of under 140 in cool weather(stuck open T'stat(Failsafe model)). I drove for a long while with that bad T'stat, part of the Winter and had to cover the radiator like old people used to do. In Summer at 90+ degrees, it would get into the 170's, but liked the low 160's. That was delivering mail, lots of stopping and lots of gas. So the capacity is there.

I have one electric fan to try for my keeper 98, it's a Flexlite 190 model, very thin and has 16" blades. I have less space in the 302 trucks, so not many fans can go in these. I'm aiming for temps below 180 on hot days, using a 160 T'stat and electric fan controller(DCC). If it can do that I'll be happy, but the heat exchanger and large trans cooler are unknowns.

This is the radiator I'm running, replacing the stock rad was my first move when I couldn't keep it cool. Actually my 3rd move, after I bypassed the heater core, and removed the stock condenser and t-stat. I'm on a 170 tstat and a flex-a-lite adjustable controller for the fans. I have the basic pieces in place, and if I'm right and air flow is my issue, I'll be very happy.

I like that, I have considered a dual pass unit for my 92 Lincoln, but the tank inlet/outlet would move. That could work well for many apps. Th coolant is moving faster in that, but it's fine of the WP is strong enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that, I have considered a dual pass unit for my 92 Lincoln, but the tank inlet/outlet would move. That could work well for many apps. Th coolant is moving faster in that, but it's fine of the WP is strong enough.
Yeah, they sell it in 22, 26, and 28" widths. I wish I'd gone with the 26", but the 28" fits my flexalite fans better. Oh well.

Back