A/C Compressor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor?

xXIDaShizIXx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
So guys I thought my air conditioner was running low. I got some refrigerant and the gauge said it was low. However when I started the car (before I connected it) the compressor spluttered and smoked a little. Now if I turn on the AC it doesn't get cold and my you can hear the compressor. It sputters and you can feel it (only when the AC is on). So does this sound like the compressor to you? And how much am I reasonably looking to pay for this repair on a 2006 Ford Explorer? I'm in Arizona so I need to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the compressors are between 300-400 bucks they list a few options the downside is they only have compatibility between 06-10 4.0-4.6 so junkyards are out of the choices... im sure labor will add another $200 if you cant do this yourself... i know to make them more efficient and follow what the epa wants you need to run a vacuum on the system before the removal to suck out all the remaining r34a in the system before you start and suck out all the air before you charge it.... personally i would swap out the part throw 2 cans in to it and check if its working to what you need and call it a day if its not take it to a shop for a recharge...

the compressors are between 300-400 bucks they list a few options the downside is they only have compatibility between 06-10 4.0-4.6 so junkyards are out of the choices... im sure labor will add another $200 if you cant do this yourself... i know to make them more efficient and follow what the epa wants you need to run a vacuum on the system before the removal to suck out all the remaining r34a in the system before you start and suck out all the air before you charge it.... personally i would swap out the part throw 2 cans in to it and check if its working to what you need and call it a day if its not take it to a shop for a recharge...

Yeah I filled it up with two cans after the incident and its still not getting cold.

Yeah I filled it up with two cans after the incident and its still not getting cold.

I know you did I was saying refill it after replacing the pump if you can do it yourself.... after spending 3-4 hundred on a part I would have to avoid labor costs

I know you did I was saying refill it after replacing the pump if you can do it yourself.... after spending 3-4 hundred on a part I would have to avoid labor costs

Alright, so double checking, this does sound like the compressor though right? I'm trying to see if its worth me doing it or getting someone else to. I'll pay a few hundred extra if its done right. Again I just need it done quickly.

There are many specalty automotive AC shops in Tucson and Phoenix, call one up or take the vehicle by and let them give you a quote.
BTW it sounds like it is the clutch that is acting up to me and that is a much cheaper fix.

There are many specalty automotive AC shops in Tucson and Phoenix, call one up or take the vehicle by and let them give you a quote.
BTW it sounds like it is the clutch that is acting up to me and that is a much cheaper fix.

Awesome, how can I differentiate between the two problems? I'd just like to know so the mechanics don't rip me a new one. Thanks - you are a big help! :)

First, before you do anything else, check the AC clutch for wear. Just a take off the serpentine belt, then remove the bolt in the middle of the clutch pulley. Carefully pull the face of the clutch off (there may be spacers between the clutch face and the compressor shaft). See here.

When you said "smoke", that clues me into the clutch and its not all that uncommon.

First, before you do anything else, check the AC clutch for wear. Just a take off the serpentine belt, then remove the bolt in the middle of the clutch pulley. Carefully pull the face of the clutch off (there may be spacers between the clutch face and the compressor shaft). See here.

When you said "smoke", that clues me into the clutch and its not all that uncommon.

I took it to AAMCO and they are saying it is the entire Compressor, the lines, and everything. He said that the lines were cracked and werent holding pressure. He said it will cost $1359.00 to fix. Even if that was the case, that seems outrageously high. I feel like I may be getting scammed here.

I took it to AAMCO and they are saying it is the entire Compressor, the lines, and everything. He said that the lines were cracked and werent holding pressure. He said it will cost $1359.00 to fix. Even if that was the case, that seems outrageously high. I feel like I may be getting scammed here.

He also said the clutch and the compressor failed and shattered (which led to damage on the lines). I really don't know much about A/Cs.

Post a pic. of the engine compartment and then a close up of the compressor/pulley area. I have never heard/seen what the AAMCO representative is claiming, besides they don't specialize in automotive AC work. Of course you could always just take it somewhere else for a quote, since you already got a crazy quote it wouldn't hurt to take it by Ford and see what they say. You could also let me know what city you are in and I could look up a good place for you to take it by if you want me to.

Post a pic. of the engine compartment and then a close up of the compressor/pulley area. I have never heard/seen what the AAMCO representative is claiming, besides they don't specialize in automotive AC work. Of course you could always just take it somewhere else for a quote, since you already got a crazy quote it wouldn't hurt to take it by Ford and see what they say. You could also let me know what city you are in and I could look up a good place for you to take it by if you want me to.

I'll PM you with the location and a few details.

What was the final verdict on this? Interested to know what the other shop said that I referred you to.

What was the final verdict on this? Interested to know what the other shop said that I referred you to.

Sorry for the late reply. They said that the entire A/C compressor kit had to be replaced (same job AAMCO was doing) and offered me a discount off of whatever AAMCO was charging.

Wow, so the lines, the compressor and possibly the dryer also? Never heard of all those components needing replacement after about 10 years.

Wow, so the lines, the compressor and possibly the dryer also? Never heard of all those components needing replacement after about 10 years.

Yeah I don't believe it either but I don't have the know how so I just took the repair. I must say mechanics out here are outrageous compared to back East.

Back