• Register Today It's free!

A/C Leaks?

jackndelphine

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT,97 sport
I have just been going through all of the A/C questions on here, and there is some good stuff on here!! My question is, what are some of the common leak points on explorers? I have a 97 sport 4.0 SOHC, the A/C takes a charge, the compressor kicks on and it gets cold, but then leaks out within about 5 minutes, I don't smell freon inside the truck, so I am guessing that it is not the evaporator (and praying) so I am of course going to change the receiver/dryer cause its old, and the orifice tube, and I guess I will just go from there, hopefully I will find the leak, I noticed a bunch of rust on the R/D my truck was a beach truck, so I am hoping I have a rot hole or something to that degree. Anyway, does anyone have any advice? I currently have this truck up for sale, but everytime someone comes to look at it they say "Oh, the A/C doesent work?" And thats the last time I hear from them ha haa. Oh I also have a complete A/C system from a 95 XLT, will any of those parts work with my 97 stuff, just in case I need to "Pop N Swap" anything?

Thanks in advance for the help, Jack

Most common leak point is the accumulator. Next up is the connector on the back of the compressor, then the compressor main seal, then damage to the condensor.

Dye detection is not a bad way to leak check a system, but it's not foolproof. A halogen leak detector ("sniffer" is what I call em) is a far better method. A shop can leak check it for you, or these days you can buy a "sniffer" for about $75 - not a lot more than the blacklight setup for UV dye detection.

Back