A/C On = erratic idle when stopped... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C On = erratic idle when stopped...

Chew_12

Working
Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Alright I just noticed this once I turned on my A/C not to long ago. When ever I have the A/C on, the idle will be about 600 then drop to about 400, almost stalling the car. I notice this when the car is stopped in Overdrive. When I am in reverse it normally does stall the car. When the A/C is off the idle is normal. I had the A/C rebuild about 2-3 years ago, but im suspecting it might be the compressor? What do you guys think?
Thanks

Mine does the same thing. I think what the problem is, is just the idle is low enough that when it kicks on the a/c your engine isnt idling high enough and its causing the rpms to drop. The a/c will cut off the rpms arn't high enough. I had an aftermarket a/c put in a ranger and it did the same thing until I adjusted the idle, but the X doesnt have the same setup the ranger had so I am not sure how to turn up the idle a little bit.

Start with the IAC. That controls idle. Clean it and see if there is any change.

Seems like the iac to me, because when your compressor kicks on the computer should sense that and kick up your idle to compensate.

Back