Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
It is that time of the year for A/C.
I used it yesterday for the first time this year. After 5 mins of driving with it on med speed, the engine started getting real hot, or at least the temp gauge said so. I shut off the A/C and the needle dropped.

I have a thermostat problem to begin with, temp goes way up before it will open. Engine cools down rapidly once it opens.

Are these 2 things connected?

A/C does blow very cold air, and fans run perfect. All vents work fine, blend door is fine. Compressor is not fast idling. I am fine on antifreeze. Engine fan seems to be working, but I cant tell while driving. I hear it upon start up only.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is that time of the year for A/C.
I used it yesterday for the first time this year. After 5 mins of driving with it on med speed, the engine started getting real hot, or at least the temp gauge said so. I shut off the A/C and the needle dropped.

I have a thermostat problem to begin with, temp goes way up before it will open. Engine cools down rapidly once it opens.

Are these 2 things connected?

A/C does blow very cold air, and fans run perfect. All vents work fine, blend door is fine. Compressor is not fast idling. I am fine on antifreeze. Engine fan seems to be working, but I cant tell while driving. I hear it upon start up only.

You need to change your stat and you should be fine.

Josh

It's the "Humbolt Curse" so beware. Anytime someone is at Jon's something happens.

You mean strange things happen there? Like teeth being knocked out? Or like a pinion bolt snapping in half? I have yet to travel to Humboldt in nice weather! Even leaving has been terrible weather!

My trip to Jon's a couple of years ago netted me a 3 hour alignment by some crack head that had know idea what he was doing. We had to tell him how to align it and it was still wrong.

Take your time with the thermostat install. It rests vertically like the 302, and it's very easy to have it slip down while you start the bolts.

Back