A/C Power Issues

Rkownurko

Reaction score
City, State
North Wales, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97 Eddie Bauer
I have a 5.0 L 1997 Eddie Bauer.

I just bought it so have no history on the issue.

The A/C compressor clutch does not energize when the AC is turned on.

Things I have Checked.

1. Low Pressure Switch Good.

2. The WOT AC Relay is energizing in the engine box in the engine compartment.

3. I then checked for power at the relay on terminal 30 no power.

4. I then checked the fuse box in the car fuse location 18 fuse good but I had no power at the fuse.

5. If I jumper power from the battery to the terminal 87 the compressor comes on and AC works.

My Question is has anyone ever seen something like this?

Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the AC and the main fuse box on a 1997 ford explorer.

I have one for my 2001 XLT but it does not match in colors and the wiring does not appear to be the same.

Thanks RFK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an update to my issue.

I forgot to turn on the key when checking the fuse box.

So I do have power at the fuse.

I figure I just need to trace wires but I am not sure were they go.

I do now have the colors from the fuse box in the pasenger compartment and the relay in the engine compartment and the low pressure cut out. Unfortunately non of the colors match so everything goes somewhere else then on to these devices.

Thanks for any help.

I have traced the the wiring from the relay back thru the High Pressure, then the low pressure switch. The purple wire off this switch should have some kind of power but it does not. The wire from the fuse bock is Wht/Purple and I have no idea were that goes it should go to the low pressure switch eventually but the wire at the switch is Purple.

Any Help!

OK, I have everything traced out and have located the problem but want to see if anyone else has has this problem.

It looks like it is in the EATC "Electronic Automatic Temperature Control" The power for the Clutch Comes to the unit but does not come out of the unit so I am assuming a relay is bad in this unit. I did not see any fuses in the unit.

Has anyone run into this issue?

Had this exact problem; small black relay on EATC circuit board has bad solder joints. There is a thread here that describes the problem and the fix; will see if I can find it again and post the link. Not a terrible job, but does require disassembling the EATC unit itself. Alternatively, you can buy a repaired unit on the Internet for about $100. Good luck.

OK - here is the thread I used:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363745

Bob,

Thanks for the link, that was exactly what the problem was. I added solder to the board and everything works correctly now. I think this explains why on the latter models they did not run the full compressor power thru the high and low pressure safeties.

By Chance do you know why the seats may not be blowing air when the AC is on?
I have not looked into it but assume it is a bad flap somewhere.

Thanks again for the help.

RFK

By Chance do you know why the seats may not be blowing air when the AC is on?
I have not looked into it but assume it is a bad flap somewhere.

Thanks again for the help.

RFK

Glad the first suggestion helped.

Don't understand the question re "seats?" Please clarify.

Back