• Register Today It's free!

A couple of questions..

joe_c

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I did some quick searching and couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.

The XLT I am signing paperwork on today does not have the tow package. I have read that an aftermarket hitch has a rating of 2,000 lbs. As part of the deal, I asked that they put a Ford / OEM or equivalent hitch on there. So my questions are:

1) Do they have a Ford OEM hitch that is installed after the fact (non tow package Explorer)?
2) If they do, is it still rated at 2k or will it be rated at 5k tow capacity?
3) Do all the bumpers have the break away part to hide the hitch or will it be installed below?

The second set of questions deals with the MyTouch. The sales guys said that whenever an Explorer is traded in and certified (this one is), they upgrade the MyTouch to the latest version. I do believe him, but I know that that's not always the case. The radio performed flawlessly yesterday when I was streaming my music from my iPhone, but this morning, it was not working correctly.

1) Is there a place that lists the latest software / firmware available?
2) Is there a place on the MyTouch that tells me what version is has?

Thanks so much in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did some quick searching and couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.

The XLT I am signing paperwork on today does not have the tow package. I have read that an aftermarket hitch has a rating of 2,000 lbs. As part of the deal, I asked that they put a Ford / OEM or equivalent hitch on there. So my questions are:

1) Do they have a Ford OEM hitch that is installed after the fact (non tow package Explorer)?
2) If they do, is it still rated at 2k or will it be rated at 5k tow capacity?
3) Do all the bumpers have the break away part to hide the hitch or will it be installed below?

The second set of questions deals with the MyTouch. The sales guys said that whenever an Explorer is traded in and certified (this one is), they upgrade the MyTouch to the latest version. I do believe him, but I know that that's not always the case. The radio performed flawlessly yesterday when I was streaming my music from my iPhone, but this morning, it was not working correctly.

1) Is there a place that lists the latest software / firmware available?
2) Is there a place on the MyTouch that tells me what version is has?

Thanks so much in advance!
Welcome to the Forum :wavey:.
There are several threads on the tow package;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333219&highlight=adding+tow
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343202&highlight=adding+tow
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328221&highlight=tow

Check out the video in post 73 of the last thread above for the mounting area cutout.

As for your software, you should register at http://support.ford.com/media/syncmyride/intercept.html
and see what it shows as your latest update. It should be V3.6.2
There was Status Checker Tool that you could use to see what you actually had but I don't see that on the site.
The MFT will show what the software is but it doesn't spell it out so you can easily tell. That was also outlined somewhere in the In Vehicle Technology forum in one of the posts.
See post 3 in this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391396&highlight=MFT+version
There are also several posts on issues with iPhones in that forum.
Good luck

Peter

Awesome, thank you. I guess I didn't go back far enough in the search.

regarding the tow package, the dealership will not make it "OEM". The OEM tow package includes a beefed up oil cooler, as well as a rear bumper that nicely includes the hitch.
Non OEM rating will drop to 2000 lbs.
The non OEM hitch will sit below the bumper, giving it not a clean look.
When we purchased our XTL, I was not that concerned having or not the hitch, but now I consider myself lucky that ours did have the tow pacakge, since we purchased off the lot. I would definitely go OEM if you can find another vehicle and/or wait for one to be built...

clean look aside the stability software applies brakes as needed to keep the vehicle more stable as needed. My use is to put a bike carrier in this spot, but I thought the oem tow package was a step up.

I ordered my '14 Sport w/o the hitch. I know, brain fArt...

Anyway, I bought the Ford 2" hitch to install myself primarily for hitch bike rack.
Comes with hitch (large steel rear cross-member / muffler hanger type piece that bolts in with 10 large bolts) and two plastic rear bumper cover pieces.

Quotes to have it installed were $300 to $400. I elected to DIY as the Ford instructions supplied are detailed.
Some work, tho, if you are not experienced at rear bumper cover removal plus some cutting / trimming is required.
I took my time and the whole process took about 7 hours and the carport floor.
the cutting / trimming is not a huge deal as the cut cannot be seen upon final assembly.
Just add the Ford wiring harness and you're ready to tow.

I cannot comment on tow vs. non-tow spec's on XLT from factory. I understood the Sport spec to be same thing.

Thanks guys, I think an aftermarket hitch will work fine for me. A bike rack and light towing is all I plan on doing. Plus I can use that as an excuse not to help friends move! Kind of joking but I am always the one to help friends move.

Thanks guys, I think an aftermarket hitch will work fine for me. A bike rack and light towing is all I plan on doing. Plus I can use that as an excuse not to help friends move! Kind of joking but I am always the one to help friends move.

The aftermarket hitches I've seen set below the rear bumper whereas the OEM hitch is hidden as mctee explained in the install. Just wanted to be sure you understand that piece before you buy. In either case your Ford recommended towing capacity is 2k.

Anyway, I bought the Ford 2" hitch to install myself primarily for hitch bike rack.
Comes with hitch (large steel rear cross-member / muffler hanger type piece that bolts in with 10 large bolts) and two plastic rear bumper cover pieces.

Quotes to have it installed were $300 to $400. I elected to DIY as the Ford instructions supplied are detailed.
Some work, tho, if you are not experienced at rear bumper cover removal plus some cutting / trimming is required.
the cutting / trimming is not a huge deal as the cut cannot be seen upon final assembly.

I cannot comment on tow vs. non-tow spec's on XLT from factory. I understood the Sport spec to be same thing.

Just make sure to add a trans cooler if you plan on towing anything real heavy.

Can you post a pic. I realized mine didnt have a hitch either and since i do some biking in the summer it may be on my list of things to do

The aftermarket hitches I've seen set below the rear bumper whereas the OEM hitch is hidden as mctee explained in the install. Just wanted to be sure you understand that piece before you buy. In either case your Ford recommended towing capacity is 2k.

Exactly!
I looked at several aftermarket hitches and did not like the way the 2" receiver hung down below the rear bumper cover and lower than the tail pipes.
This would compromise some trailhead / road access as a bike rack added to this would definitely drag on waterbars etc.
Plus if you use a 4 bike carrier the wheel are that much closer to the road with a much higher risk of dragging thru sidewalk-driveway accesses.
And they look ugly. All the time.

The Ford hitch was a little more than the aftermarket versions ($50 to $100) but becomes a totally integrated replacement for the rear crash bumper and muffler hangers. Ten large bolts secure it! Well worth the extra dollars and install time, IMO. Pix's tomorrow.

I may be one in the minority that doesn't mind that it is below the bumper. As long as it functions as it should and doesn't rattle against the exhaust pipes, then it works for me.

I found out today that they are having a local camper / RV shop install the hitch, so I'll take it in next week.

Also, going back to my original post, I signed up for the Ford Sync support online through Ford and then ran the vehicle diagnostic that sent them the report. I am at the latest version of the SYNC software, so that's good to know.

I may be one in the minority that doesn't mind that it is below the bumper. As long as it functions as it should and doesn't rattle against the exhaust pipes, then it works for me.

I found out today that they are having a local camper / RV shop install the hitch, so I'll take it in next week.

Also, going back to my original post, I signed up for the Ford Sync support online through Ford and then ran the vehicle diagnostic that sent them the report. I am at the latest version of the SYNC software, so that's good to know.

Hey, joe_c,

Congrats on your new-to-you Explorer!

If you have any SYNC questions, don't hesitate to contact me. :)

Rebecca

Back