A real cold air box devised by me. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A real cold air box devised by me.

Nice work!

Looks like it could be a serious competitor to the K&N Gen II! Let us all know what a setup would cost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks real nice! I like the plexiglass! Looks like you really had to work. Pulled the whole light assembly out! Well in the end its time well spent.

where did your lights go??

Matt,

I went and had a look at your setup. I noticed the duct went through the port where the light assembly was previously, is this right?

If so, then how the hell do you get your lights to work??

Looks good though, I think this summer I'll be getting intimate with some tools...

So how's the performance? Can you tell the difference?

Cheers,
BK.

[Edited by MeatyCrab on 11-15-2000 at 08:07 PM]

MeatyCrab's pics...

I looked at you Explorer pics and I have to say, it is odd to see a right-hand drive layout with a automatic floor shifter. In the states we would never get a floor shifter for autos here or even the right-hand drive (unless maybe it were a mail truck). It is always cool to see how different things are with peoples rigs. Cool off road pics, too.

Okay these are all GREAT! Now my question for you all is, is the box that your putting the filters in the stock box? How many holes come out of it? Just the one that goes towards the front right? Can anyone post a pic of a stock unmodified box. This looks like what I am looking for. Thanks for any replies!

Soupbone-The lights on the '01 Explorer pop out. There is a flap on top, you lift the flap and there is one screw for the signal. Take out the screw and the signal lamp assembly pops out, it is mounted on rubber grommets. On top of the headlight are to slide latches, pull those up and the healight pops out. All you have to do is disconnect the wires and you're done. Takes all of 2 minutes. Cool huh? I wish my old Ranger had that, changing the bulbs was a *****.

rprenner54-My stock box is different than yours. I would post a pic, but I don't have one. There are two holes, one for the intake and one for the air to get into the box. There are also two small drain holes on the bottom.

MeatyCrab-There are actually two bulkheads, but it was hard to get a good picture of that.

I was bored, here are some pictures of the headlight assembly and clearance. Put mouse pointer on picture to read caption.

The only noticable difference I've felt is after I have sat at a stop light for a few minutes. This allows heat to build up in the engine bay and before it was a little sluggish. Before I had nothing around the KKM filter, just the filter. Now with the cold air mod, it bolts right off the line after being stopped for a few munites. You know, when you touch the gas and you get a good snap of the neck.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1101951&a=9937460

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 11-14-2000 at 04:51 PM]

jesus, please let me know when you are able to produce one to work on a 95 xlt, and cost of the unit.

Ahhh...I see the light...literally...

Matt,

I had a close look at the front end of the truck today, and I saw how you fabbed everything. It seems like a decent setup. I'll wait for my 3" body lift to arrive and be installed before I do anything though.

Mikefox,

Thanks, we have some pretty sweet trails down here...a good assortment of all terrains. It's odd about the floor shifter, 'cos we get the Suburbans over here and they have a really shoddy RHD conversion...they just haul everything over from the left side to the right, but only in the cabin. I don't think they even move the brake booster and stuff like that...

Although the J**p Cherokees and Grands have floor shifters, but they look really tacky...so they're column shifted in the States too?

I like that plexi-glass screen over the KKM filter, real classy.

Cheers,
BK.

[Edited by MeatyCrab on 11-15-2000 at 06:09 PM]

I have only seen floor shifters in the Jeeps here in the states. Everything else is column shift excluding manuals.

The radio bezel and placment of the 4wd and rear wiper are the same in the states. I must say, though, I have NEVER seen a floor shifted auto explorer.

As for the body lift, I have a zip tie holding the box to the body. This allows it to move freely with the twist and movment of the engine. I am getting a 3" body lift as well.

I will make one for every explorer.

Originally posted by drmoore71
jesus, please let me know when you are able to produce one to work on a 95 xlt, and cost of the unit.

Well my friend, I am working on developing one for every explorer on the market(later I will get into other suv manufacturers), just for business. Because as all we already know the best "SUV" ever made is the EXPLORER.

And please remember, this is a hobby after attending my daily work, which is representing Two big aeronautical companies in Venezuela, American of course.

I´ll keep you posted, and thanks for your interest on my cold air box.

Regards
Jesus

My 2 cents.

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
Here's my cold air box setup I made Sunday. Took about 3 hrs.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1101951&a=9900760

Hi there 2001ExpSport,
Your cold air box looks pretty good, but the reason why I´d left the top open, is because some how you will get some hot air there (undersirable of course)and the only way you can get rid off it,is letting the filter breathe out so the hot air will exit faster the box, yes you may think it doesn´t supposed to be sealed?. Yes, but since the airflow velocity of the incoming air, would be higher than the resistance of the insulation material on the hood, it would exit the box.

If I do remember something about aerodynamics.

Regards.
Jesus

Re: My 2 cents and getting more into detail.

Originally posted by Jesus A Ochoa
Here's my cold air box setup I made Sunday. Took about 3 hrs.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1101951&a=9900760

Hi there 2001ExpSport,
Your cold air box looks pretty good, but the reason why I´d left the top open, is because some how you will get some hot air there (undersirable of course)and the only way you can get rid off it,is letting the filter breathe out so the hot air will exit faster the box, yes you may think it doesn´t supposed to be sealed?. Yes, but since the airflow velocity of the incoming air, would be higher than the resistance of the insulation material on the hood, it would exit the box.

Hey guys,
This is just too extensive, but I will be brief on how can you get hot air into you airbox, one is the mass air flow sensor, made of metal (reason why aftermarket MAS as Grannately)make them out of ABS (plastic),the factory connecting hose, made of rubber they love heat, when you stop at a traffic light or just anywhere with the truck running, like me with the A/C full power (As the engines I do not like heat), too bad I live in a very hot place.

So there are just few reasons to let your "Cold airbox breathe" and this is going to everybody reading my post, which I really appreciate and try like everyone else to do my best.

Regards
Jesus

If I do remember something about aerodynamics.

Regards.
Jesus

I understand your ideas Jesus, but when you are stopped it may fill with hot air completely. With my set up it only draws air from outside the engine compartment. Any heated air will be from the rubber intake and/or plastic MAS. The opening in the box is the same size or larger than the intake manifold. The box is normally aspirate rather than being forced in letting old air swirl in the box and heat up. It actually would have been better to make a smaller intake into the box so that only the air used is the air that enters the box. Either way it works just as well.

That was the Reader's Digest version

keep us posted

Jesus,

Keep us posted on your progress. I have a 93 and would be very interested in buying one from you. Keep up the good work.

Just a question. By putting the conical filter back in the box, wouldn't this be the same as having a flat filter (air flow wise?) The only variable changing is the opening size in the box for the air intake.

Yes, only if you got a K&N replacement filter. With your stock filter, no.

"No no no"

Yes, only if you got a K&N replacement filter. With your stock filter, no.

Let me tell you something, it is not a brand name K&N, KKM, Ractive, or whatever, is just a conical and 100% cotton filter. Which it will give you a 30 - 50% extra air flow going to the TB, and that it will increase your HP. Depending on the temperature the air is flowing through, just like a pump, more air is going in more air is going out.

Think about it.

Back