A real cold air box devised by me. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A real cold air box devised by me.

Jesus A Ochoa

Reaction score
I devised a real cold air box, to get any conical 100% cotton filter the best out of it. Maybe 15-18 Hp´s, it does really work, I would try to post the pictures.

I hope you guys like my system.

Jesus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures? Do you have them? I'd like to see your setup...There are very few deceint cold air set ups and I wanna know what your solution to this was!
Thanks,
Pete

Still trying to post the pictures.

I´am trying to post the pictures without luck so far, I got the photopoint.com but it will send them only to e-mails. Any help on how to send the pics to the forum will be greatly appreciated. I am new to this digital camera deal.

I´ll keep trying.

Jesus

Did you post your pics on Photopoint yet? if you did, you just go to your picture, and right click with your mouse on it. Go to Properties, and on there you will see a web address. Cut that and paste it in your text for your post. Before it put img with brackets around it, and after the address put /img with brackets around it. Thats it.
Hope this helped. If you need more info look above at the forum rules, and click VB code. It says how to post urls, img, and stuff like that.
Good luck
Jason

Jesus,
Can you give me the path of where the pictures are?
example: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=868538&a=6318339 This is one of the folders that I have at photo point. Go to the folder that you have the pictures in and click on the address at the top in the address bar.
then copy it and paste it in a post here, then I will show you how to post them.
Oh I would like the see them too.

Could you tell us how yu did it? I notice there is something different, but what exactly did you do? Are there any vents on the bottom of that box to run cold air right up to the airfilter? Looks like some type of weatherstripping was used across the top, now unless there are some vents on the bottom of it, wouldn't it restrict the airflow into the filter, because it would be right up there against the hood.

Very Interesting........

Looks like you installed a conical filter but kept the stock airbox too. However you chopped the top off the lid so the filter would fit. So I guess the air is comming from the lower hole in the stock box? I wouldnt mind chopping up mine like that but i need to keep it to put it back in for smog inspection here in cali. hrmmm maybe i can salvage a spare.......

Looks nice....tell us about it Jesus.

I think keeping the stock box in one piece is a better way to go. You can swap it within two minutes. My cold air box is part of the ram air induction mod I did. The separator plate on the assembly reaches all the way up to the hood when it is down, preventing the hot air from creeping in. It is actually more like 3-5 horsepower from a cold air box with ram air induction, not 15 or any number like that. And that's with a more free-flowing exhaust.

View

Here is how my cold air box work.

Originally posted by rock883
Could you tell us how yu did it? I notice there is something different, but what exactly did you do? Are there any vents on the bottom of that box to run cold air right up to the airfilter? Looks like some type of weatherstripping was used across the top, now unless there are some vents on the bottom of it, wouldn't it restrict the airflow into the filter, because it would be right up there against the hood.

I used the top part of the OEM box, cutted the lid to fit the filter and sealed with weatherstrip agains the hood. At the bootom, I´d Used fiberglass to rebuild the entire bootom part (and reinforced the top)for a better heat insulation, it has a duct that conects and is sealed also agains the hole behind the headlight, were the cool air is coming from originaly, is 8" long x 6" x 4" and yes I do have a 50 Series flowmaster and together they give me close to 18hp dynotested,I can assure you it works a lot better than the so called generation II. Is a real heatshield I have checked the temperature after a long drive and the difference between the outside temperature and the filter is almost unnoticeable. By the way, after few Explorer owners drive tested my truck, they asked me if I could make one for them, because they were very impressed by the power gain 23 made so far and planning to replace mine for a 100% fiberglass which I am on the making right now.

Could you make one for an older 92 explorer in fiberglass? I'm willing to pay!!!!!

Great design!!!

I would be interested also. The only drawback i can see already is that most of the componnents you have on your passenger's side, I have on my driver's side...etc. Will I have to relocated the battery since I have my battery where you have the filter located? Let me know if you come up with something!

Originally posted by ScottXXL
Could you make one for an older 92 explorer in fiberglass? I'm willing to pay!!!!!

Great design!!!

Hey ScottXXL,

Give me a couple of weeks to get a design for each Explorer model. They would be maybe 4 or 5, after I get the blue print and the molds, the rest is a piece of cake.

I will keep you inform on the advance and developing of the boxes.

Regards
Jesus

Originally posted by Sneaky1
I would be interested also. The only drawback i can see already is that most of the componnents you have on your passenger's side, I have on my driver's side...etc. Will I have to relocated the battery since I have my battery where you have the filter located? Let me know if you come up with something!

Hey Sneaky1,

Same to you guy, just give me a couple of weeks to come up with the blue prints and molds, for every Explorer model maybe 4 or 5 and after that, the production is a piece of cake. I am seriuosly working on commercialize the cold boxes, first for Explorers and then for other SUV´s.

I will keep you posted on the development of my proyect.

Regards
Jesus

Jesus, how much are we talking here? I'm DEFINETLY interested. Will your design be supplying the filter and MAS adapter of just the cold air box? Either way would be cool, just wanna know if I should hold off on getting the KKM or not! BTW...looks pretty good man!!!!!

[Edited by Ru Dawg on 11-11-2000 at 04:22 PM]

Originally posted by Ru Dawg
Jesus, how much are we talking here? I'm DEFINETLY interested. Will your design be supplying the filter and MAS adapter of just the cold air box? Either way would be cool, just wanna know if I should hold off on getting the KKM or not! BTW...looks pretty good man!!!!!

[Edited by Ru Dawg on 11-11-2000 at 04:22 PM]

Ru Dag,

I´ll be supplying the cold air box only, since the KKM and adapter are cheaper in the States. I will advise on price next week, remember I just got into it.

Regards
Jesus

Perfectly understood Jesus! Take your time...looking forward to seeing the results!

Jesus,

Did you use resin cloth to line the box? Is there and foam wall added? This mod looks pretty easy and the perfomance is great. I will do mine on Sunday and post some pictures here. What kind of weatherstripping did you use? Is it automotive or some type of home insulation for doors. I can get my hands on some flexible foam that is very dense and I will see how that works. I am going to use my stock box as well. My GF's Mustng GT has a neat cold air box that looks just like yours, but it's inverted. I will have to get a closer look. Kudos for you and your work, looks damn good! Now you've got me all excited, I have my stock box in front of me and making some diagrams. Great inspiration Jesus!

Lucky for me I am in the hardware/construction business so I have all of these materials at my fingertips. Finally something I can do without waiting or spending tons of money!!

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 11-11-2000 at 07:37 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Appreciate the interest!

Thanks Jesus,

I think the work you did on you box looks great. I really can't wait for the work on the earlier Explorers. Good luck to your project! Keep me posted!

Back