A very naughty timing chain

woodster

Reaction score
City, State
COVENTRY UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
FORD EXPLORER 1998
Hi all have just found this site.

I have a 1998 Explorer 4 litre V6 (UK model). The other day I was driving home and a bit of a row started in the engine bay area, then she started misfireing.
I stopped the car and checked under the hood to find that the timing chain tensioner must have gone and the chain had hit the rocker cover and put a hole in it.. big OUCH. :mad: :fire: :thumbdwn:

My question is can the chains and tensioner be replaced without taking the engine out or has it just plain simply got to come out of the car.

Many thanks in anticipation of floods of sound advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The chains can be replaced with the engine in situ but there are special clamps to hold the camshafts for the timing so be very careful as there are no timing marks to align. This is a job best left to a dealer who should have all the correct tools needed.

PS. Welcome to the site. :D

Can't help with the tech info but welcome to the site . It's a hard getting info on these beasts over here in the UK ,It might be worth getting the Haynes manual from Amazon it comes in handy every now and then .

Dave :uk:

Thanks Howard, Thats a big relief to know I saw some clamps on ebay last year, bummer, wish I'd have got them now.
I will try and locate some clamps as I used to rebuild Jag engines for a living, so not to worried about it but have never had much to do with Ford Explorers so a bit of a learner in that respect.

Thanks for the welcome in the sticks... does anyone know of any independant parts suppliers in the UK or has everything got to be brought at Ford agents ?

I get most of my bits from http://www.usauto.co.uk/ as they seem much cheaper than Fords for most bits but as usual ring around.

Thanks once again Howard.
I took a look at the pictures of your Explorer and mine is exactly the same as yours, right down to the colour.

i had took my 98 explorer in today for a problem iwas havin and the timing thing u talkin bout....there fixin that for free. take it to ford they might do it for free.?

i was about to say....there was a recall on that in the States, i dont know if its good in the UK...take it to ford and see what they say

There is a cam tensioner recall, 00M12.

Hi thanks to you all for the info.
Howard I got in touch with the American Auto Parts place in Bedford and they told me that this vehicle was subject to a recall and that mine might have missed it.
So they have given me all the information I need via email and told me to go to my local dealer and they should replace everything for free. So will try this route first.

Many thanks for all the info ;)

Woodster welcome to the site, am also a new comer and having trouble with my 97 X. Am down here in Spain from London Tranny probs.... Anyway there was a recall on your prob and ford will fix it FOC. Good luck matey

Another Brit

Hi Woodster I live in Rugby just down the road and I have a noisey timing chain at startup when the engine is warm but it dissapears after a short while.
I took it into Alen Ford and they checked it on OASIS (fords database) and the told me that there were no outstanding recals on my car!
Would you let me know how you get on and I hope your back on the road soon.
by the way I bought a code reader off ebay the other week and i have a haynes manual to should you ever need either my e-mail is

steve@westburys.fsnet.co.uk

If the recall was previously performed then it would not show up as outstanding which is probably the case.

Hi Thundertiger

I went down to allen Ford and they did'nt know anything about it Apparently they checked on Oasis but the same thing happend it showed nothing outstanding. They contacted Ford who said there where no recals for this vehicle.
However the wife phoned Ford's Customer relations office and they said that there was never a recall for that VIN No, however the internal paperwork I recieved says that all Explorers between 1997 and 1998 where affected, mine's registerd January 1998 so someone is telling porkies somewhere.

Thanks for your offer of using the Hayens manual and code checker I probably will be in touch shortly judging by the message boards... lol

woodster said:
Hi Thundertiger

However the wife phoned Ford's Customer relations office and they said that there was never a recall for that VIN No, however the internal paperwork I recieved says that all Explorers between 1997 and 1998 where affected, mine's registerd January 1998 so someone is telling porkies somewhere.

Look on the latch side of the door jam or the door edge to see the manufacture date. Most recalls go by the VIN, a recall by definition is just that. It's a recall to the dealer who will then determine whether the repair is needed according to the VIN usually. If your vehicle's VIN is not on the list then you're out of luck unfortunately.

T.i.s.

Hello again I have aquired a copy of fords technicacal information system (TIS) and it lists a TSB (technical service buletin) about the noisey timing chains. TSB no.122/1999, and is apparently a fix for this problem. it seems a fairly easy job and even gives you the part no's for the bits you will need-4058617 - 4058618 - 4055868. you have to remove both the upper and lower intake manifolds to do it so some new 'O' rings and gaskets would help also.
ford give 1.7 hrs to do the job although I forgot you have a hole in your cover :( . Maybe you could just fill it with chemical metal ? hope every thing is ok and youre already back on the road. Steve.

Hi all thanks for all the info ... have been away so haven't managed to reply to you all sorry to hear about your trany problems escapoligist 1.. hope your sorted now... mines still off the road at the moment havn't had time to sort it. Although thundertiger 1.7 hrs to do the job is that all, took me longer to change the plugs lol.. so if I dont get any joy from Ford will do the job myself. Couldn't see a plate on the door jam ExpSport but will check in daylight as it's dark now.

Thanks a lot all of yers

From what I hear it would seem that my Labrador knows more about Explorers than most of the dealers in the UK :mad: I'm sure you'll do a much better job yourself ;)

Dave

In The Sticks.... your probably right... I have worked in a main dealership before, many moons ago and have witnesed some of the stunts they will pull to keep costs down and profits up.... the wages get me they charge a customer say £35 per hour yet only pay the mechanic's £6-7 per hour a total disgrace in my oppinion... thats one of the reasons I came out of the trade

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back