A4LD Problems, Not seal blowout? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Problems, Not seal blowout?

79Zed28

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 1987 Ford Ranger, 2.3L, 4 speed auto. Was in perfect shape, AC worked, no rust, pretty straight body, shifted into every gear. No leaking fluids.

Well on the drive home from the guy I bought it from, ATF started pouring out of the bellhousing. I lost the gears and just barely made it home. Now after reading up on here, I was almost positive it was a front seal was blown. I called a few transmission places also, and they think the same. So i pulled the transmission out last night. After looking at the TC and inside the bellhousing, i seem to differ from my first reasoning. The seal looks fine, the TC doesnt look like it has any premature wear. Only odd thing i found was in the BH is some metal debris from dont know? Here are some pics, please help.

100_1887.jpg

100_1890.jpg

100_1891.jpg

From the look of the stake marks around the front seal, it has been replaced before. Either during a rebuild, or just a seal replacement. As for those little bits, have a look at this link. They are part of your OD I think. You need a rebuild, if you drive it any further you are just breaking more parts.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103582

From what im seeing it looks like bell housing bolts are leaking (THE BLUE ONES}. There are o-ring seals behind them and they get cut from moving back and forth. Just pull a few and look at seals. If it was only leaking in bell housing and not between housing and case that may be your only problem.As long as it has not been burn from low fluid. The stuff that is laying in housing looks like pieces of a spring but i have a problem with that being on the outside of the transmission I dont know where it came from .

Back