• Register Today It's free!

A4LD question

XLT FAN

Reaction score
City, State
DUB CITY, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer XLT
hello all. my 92 xlt of course has the a4ld tranny. just recently, when running down the road, when it shifts into o/d, i get a tooth rattleing vibration thru the whole vehicle. when i kick it down just a touch and get out of o/d, its smooth as silk. from dead stop to 45-50 mph it shifts like its new, but in o/d, it vibrates like h*ll. any ideas, comments, suggestions greatly appreciated and thank you!

sounds like an OD drum failure. lots of springs to break and pieces to pop out and cause OD planet to be chewed up too. happened to me. got mine together this week and put back in Friday.

I'm knocking on wood, but mine has minor issues still. hoping it's new parts, used parts and old parts trying to find a common ground and mesh properly...lol.

...............jjf

Welcome to this forum! Try to adjust the overdrive band. It could be slightly loose, and dragging when it tries to engage. If it's not the band, then it could be rebuild time like Jack said. The front has a planetary, and a one way sprag which have issues. Newer designs of the front planetary gears are either one piece, tig welded, or have extra gears.

Back