• Register Today It's free!

A4Ld No Drive

jaybirdis42

Reaction score
City, State
Dustin, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Ranger XLT
Ok i got a 89 ranger with a 2.3 O/D A4LD i just rebuilt the trans i went from one end too the either the VB already had a shift kit in it i pulled it apart to clean it.All the book's and spec's where ok soo evey thing seemed ok it shifted ok went in R and Drive ok but would knot shift into O/D by it's self can shift it into O/D ok but when you stoped start over it would take off in Drive just fine and shift down and up just fine.Know i got 1,200 miles on it when pulled up to the store and put it in P went into the store come out put in R backed up just fine put in drive nothing low drive O/D nothing but R is strong back's up good.Pulled the pan check the VB all semi's ok What is wrong please help me before this thing goes up in smoke???:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You either have low line pressure (due to a leak somewhere, a plugged filter, low fluid, check ball stuck, valve body too loose or too tight, bad pump) Less likely is your shift linkage.

Did you reinstall your VB using an inch lb torque wrench?

No i did knot but way would it go 1,200 miles befor it went out and would i stell have R? I checked and reajusted the linkage two or three times.I sure thank you answering me so quick do you think it could be one of the servo's??

Welcome to this forum! Reverse has more pressure, so it would go into reverse, but would have hydraulic leakage to prevent it from going into drive. Torque the valve body bolts with an In./Lb. torque wrench, and check the gaskets. Did you use new gaskets?

Ok i'am going to pull the pan and pull the V/B how many Check ball's should there be and there should they be? Is there anything eles i should check while i got the V/B down? Any help as what mite be the cause for no drive?? Thank's for all the help..

Back