• Register Today It's free!

A4LD transmission issues?

bluewaves188

Reaction score
City, State
Prior Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT, 1994 Ranger
I'm a newb with transmissions so bear with me. I have a 94 ranger with an a4ld tranny with 200,000+ miles. My first issue that started everything was it wouldn't automatically shift on its own from 1st to 2nd until I drove it around manually shifting between 1st, 2nd and D for a while. The rpms would just rise above 3500+rpms. As soon as it did it would drive like normal. So i replaced the modulator finding fluid in the vacuum line and I also replaced the trans filter. No debris or shavings in the pan! Got the fluid level back up and put in drive, but it wouldn't lerch forward. Gave it a little gas, nothing until it reached above 3000rpms. Same thing for reverse, 2nd and 1st. We noticed on a small incline it would roll backwards in drive as if it was in neutral unless we gassed it above 3000rpms. When traveling at a good speed (55mph) and I let off the accelerator the rpms drop below 1000rpms as if its dropping into neutral, get on the gas and they would jump back up to normal rpm range. Vacuum lines have suction, plugs have been change, new air filter as well. Is this fuel related? I haven't changed the fuel filter or spark plug wires yet. Any ideas?

seems like you're not getting enough pressure to the trans. Either the pump is messed up, or there is a blockage somewhere. Check to see that there is no blockage in the radiator, that's where I would think it was. If you were in a warmer climate, you could just run auxilliary coolers, and bypass the radiator altogether. Good luck with it, and let us know what you find.

Back