A4LD..Trasmission Filter...Something Odd !! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD..Trasmission Filter...Something Odd !!

Reaction score
City, State
illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xl
Hello Folks..Somthing odd happened on a a4ld transmission filter...I just picked up another ranger with trans problem..i dropped the pan and noticed the filter was actually LOOSE at the bolt, BUT tight (like the bolt was to long), where it POPS into the VAlve body with O Rings was loose, I noticed a shift kit installed. So my first thought was "No O Rings"..I dropped the filter and Yes there were O rings..??? Why did it not fit tight,No way it could of been working correctly..THEN i noticed the screen was gone..Are You Kidding me?..Fluid was burnt,sevos leaking..106k miles on the truck..Has anyone seen this before?? What i did do was change the filter/fluid..But i had to add washers to take up slack to fit snug. I had actually drove the vehicle 20 miles BEFORE i removed the pan and found the filter prob and servos..didnt want to go in reverse or 1st. right away..But after that it shifted OK..SO im thinking, it might be salvagable..Another question while im Ranting..I have another a4ld with leaking servos..AB cap..and FB cap..i pulled the OD servo, Looked bad, "cracks" plus i lost my retaining/snap ring.....Id like to upgrade those!!..any Suggestion?

Could it be possible that a 4x4 valve body was used? Could that be why the filter doesn't fit right? I haven't tried to compare them...but if someone has experience in this, I woult would sure be appreciated..

Back