A7 navigation map for SYNC 2 released | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A7 navigation map for SYNC 2 released

As it was mentioned, provider is Navteq and maps itself are by HERE.
Unfortunately, you will not find anywhere what is the difference between like A5 and A6 or A6 and A7, there is no such info available.

and of course, don't by the latest or don't buy it from official website, it is way to expensive, shop on ebay or amazon instead...
Unless you do buy from an official website it is "Buyer Beware". A member bought an SD navigation card from either eBay or Amazon and did not get what was advertised.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, all. I found the website as well & couldn't find any way to see what data they have. I just want to know if they have updated some of the areas around here but it's not a big deal. I'll stick with what I have for now. I don't travel all that often anyway.

I have a 2013 Explorer that had an A3 card. I recently purchased an A6 card on Amazon at a discounted price and it works well. I have located several sites that I couldn't find using the A3.

New A7 navigation card

Hi All,
Did anyone upgrade from the A5 or A6 to the A7 navigation card? Any feedback on what's new and improved?

I do know what the "official" release states. Looking for real experience.

Is it worth getting?

Thanks

Hi All,
Did anyone upgrade from the A5 or A6 to the A7 navigation card? Any feedback on what's new and improved?

I do know what the "official" release states. Looking for real experience.

Is it worth getting?

Thanks

No one is going to tell you if its better or not, all upgrades depend on the area you live in. Experience is the same...
But getting it for 150... no way, better stay with current version.

No one is going to tell you if its better or not, all upgrades depend on the area you live in. Experience is the same...
But getting it for 150... no way, better stay with current version.

I went ahead and got it for 80 off of fleabay. Have to say there is a significant difference in response time for sure. I deliberately took a different route home yesterday from what was suggested (after picking up the A7) and it was snappy in rerouting, was great at identifying street names and intersections. One thing for sure is that I now have the option to choose the route I want to take. Before I didn't have that option, although I did hear it was there.

I'll use it for the next few days on routes I know the A5 screws up on and provide feedback.

Disclaimer: I live in NYC and have had routing issues with the A5.

So to post an update as I promised:
Using the A7 card resulted in the "off the path, in the fields" kind of tracking. I switched to the A5 and the problem went away. I did this multiple times and had the same experience. Not sure what the conclusion here is but the A5 card didn't put me in the fields. The A7 did have the option to select the route you wanted to take - the A5 also did but the A7 was a bit cleaner. I noticed the routing was better and rerouting was snappier. Not sure how much more detail I can provide but this is my experience so far.

So to post an update as I promised:
Using the A7 card resulted in the "off the path, in the fields" kind of tracking. I switched to the A5 and the problem went away. I did this multiple times and had the same experience. Not sure what the conclusion here is but the A5 card didn't put me in the fields. The A7 did have the option to select the route you wanted to take - the A5 also did but the A7 was a bit cleaner. I noticed the routing was better and rerouting was snappier. Not sure how much more detail I can provide but this is my experience so far.
I still have the A4 and always found rerouting to be done within a few seconds. Always on track as well. No need to bring boots or life jackets. :D

Peter

I realize this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I updated to A7 recently (I've only had the Ex for a couple of weeks) and I'm shocked by just how much is wrong in this update. Addresses are in the wrong place, off by 1/4 mile or more, to the point that it tells me to make a left turn on a street when I should be going right. Places are listed as being on the wrong side of the street.

Directions are fine, IF it actually has the correct location, but there are so many that are wrong, at least around here, that it's almost not worth using the nav system vs Google maps.

My previous car didn't have nav, so I got used to using Google maps for 3 1/2 years. I've run into more errors in the past 10 days than I did in that entire time.

Before that, my 2005 Grand Cherokee had nav, with maps provided by Navteq, and I don't remember it being wrong as often as this one. That might have been because I was in Atlanta, which I imagine is more thoroughly mapped.

Still, if Google can manage it, sure the company that provides mapping for so many car OEMs should be able to get their act together. Maybe they should buy their info from Google.

I realize this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

I updated to A7 recently (I've only had the Ex for a couple of weeks) and I'm shocked by just how much is wrong in this update. Addresses are in the wrong place, off by 1/4 mile or more, to the point that it tells me to make a left turn on a street when I should be going right. Places are listed as being on the wrong side of the street.

Directions are fine, IF it actually has the correct location, but there are so many that are wrong, at least around here, that it's almost not worth using the nav system vs Google maps.

My previous car didn't have nav, so I got used to using Google maps for 3 1/2 years. I've run into more errors in the past 10 days than I did in that entire time.

Before that, my 2005 Grand Cherokee had nav, with maps provided by Navteq, and I don't remember it being wrong as often as this one. That might have been because I was in Atlanta, which I imagine is more thoroughly mapped.

Still, if Google can manage it, sure the company that provides mapping for so many car OEMs should be able to get their act together. Maybe they should buy their info from Google.

Make sure your MFT is running the latest software, I know the geodata is on the SD card but they do make operational nav updates part of new software.

There was also a GPS module update a few years back.

Make sure your MFT is running the latest software, I know the geodata is on the SD card but they do make operational nav updates part of new software.

There was also a GPS module update a few years back.

MFT is on 3.8. I'll have to see what I can find on the GPS module. Some of it is definitely bad map data, as I found another one today where it had the address marked about 1/10th mile before I got there. Not just the "your destination is ahead", but it actually showed the star (it's in my favorites) as being about 6 houses early. There's a curve and it was definitely on the wrong side of it.

MFT is on 3.8. I'll have to see what I can find on the GPS module. Some of it is definitely bad map data, as I found another one today where it had the address marked about 1/10th mile before I got there. Not just the "your destination is ahead", but it actually showed the star (it's in my favorites) as being about 6 houses early. There's a curve and it was definitely on the wrong side of it.

There is a rather long thread here in the technology section about the GPSM and related issues of vehicles not tracking properly. Might be related to your issue.

Back