Aaargh - how do I get the door latch out ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aaargh - how do I get the door latch out ?

I need to replace the driver's side door latch on my 98 Explorer 4-door. I can get the trim etc. off, but where the Haynes Manual says to disconnect the transfer rods from the latch and pull it out, well let just say that this description is COMPLETELY inadequate. All of the transfer rods are connected such that they look impossible to remove while in situ. Even if I removed the glass and window hardware, I still think this would be the devils own job. Am I missing something ? Has anyone else done this and discovered the secret ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The exterrior handle to latch : There is a yellow and white clip. There is a tab on the one end of the yellow clip and a " hinge " on the other. Lift the tab part. It might require a screw driver or some thing.

Exterior lock to latch: I have done it so many times it is cake, I'll tell you of two ways and you can choose.
1) Look at the back of the lock, see where it clips in. Take a flat head screw driver and insert it in the slot to the inside. Meaning betwen the rod and the lock. Twist gently to open the clip slightly. Juggle the rod out.
2) Remove the horse shoe clip holding in the lock. Push the lock out the door and walk the clip up and off the top of the rod.

Interrior lock rod to latch : nothing. That stays on

Interrior handle to latch. Remove the interrior handle by removeing the philips screw and sliding the handle forward and walking the clip off the end of the rod.

In the end, all the rods remain with the latch assmebly except for the exterror handle to the latch rod.

I'm struggling most with the power lock solenoid rod

The rod that connects the power lock solenoid to the latch appears impossible to remove... what am I missing ?

Oops, forgot about that one.

That one likes a little juice. Hit it with some WD.
If memory serves me correct it just snaps in to the actuator.

Is this the same process for a 99 ill be removing mine front and back. Permently

yup

Back