?? about switching to Electric fan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

?? about switching to Electric fan

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
is there a certain size Electric fan that is adequate that i can use to replace my stock fan? i.e. dual 12 inch fans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More so than the size fan, you need to be looking at the volume of air that it pushes. I think mine right now(Flex a lite Black Magic 150) is rated at 2800 cfm which many people on the site have found appropriate. I will be adding another smaller fan as a pusher just in case so I can feel more comfortable about it.

I also think it has been mentioned that one with a shroud does a much better job than one without.

whats a pusher? im guessing that one is mounted in front of the radiator? i will be using this truck in harsh conditions such as dunes and the desert? and how hard is it to take off the fan and fan clutch? can i just take the fan off or do i have to take the clutch off too?

Yes, a pusher is mounted on the front of the radiator and pushes the air through compared to pulling it from the back side of the radiator. I do some off roading with mine as well and would definetly recommend either a very strong fan or a two fan setup to keep up with the temps. It is not to hard to get the fan and clutch off. I think just one bolt holds it on and they come off together. Get a fan clutch removal tool from autozone or another store like that. It is usually a loan a tool.

thanks for the info.

that big bolt head can be a real ***** to unscrew, especially with the rad in. on the x it unscrews the normal way (its not left threaded). to hold the pulley from turning - get some strong multi thread wire, make a circle, put one end of the circle on a bolt on the left side of the pulley and the other over a strong bracket. put on your tool and push / belt with a very heavy hammer, after about 10 times longer than it should take - you should be there.

Back