ABS Light is on constantly | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light is on constantly

Hi, I know this is an old thread…
2000 Explorer ABS light on, code reads “wheel speed sensor rear center input circuit failure”, so I’d like to assume I just need to fix some sensors and circuits. However, when I cold start and use my brakes for a complete stop after starting, sometimes they grab and grind. Do you think that’s the same problem with the ABS, or is that a whole new problem with just needing to replace my brake pads?
thanks
Grabbing and grinding is not due to the ABS fault from (any portion of it, including...) lack of rear speed sensor signal, is a different problem. Take the wheels off and examine the brakes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grabbing and grinding is not due to the ABS fault from (any portion of it, including...) lack of rear speed sensor signal, is a different problem. Take the wheels off and examine the brakes.
Okay good, I just looked under the car to find the sensors and will take off the wheel to access both the sensor and the breaks.
Thanks

Okay good, I just looked under the car to find the sensors and will take off the wheel to access both the sensor and the breaks.
Thanks
The rear sensor is located at the top of the rear differential housing. The rear wheels don't have them at the wheels like the front do. It's a 3 channel ABS system where it can only detect lockup and release brake pressure on driver front, passenger front, or both rear wheels at same time.

On my 99 AWD, when my ABS light came on, it was the rear ABS sensor located on the top of the rear differential. It is a simple replacement. Jack the rear up or drive on ramps, disconnect the electrical connector and unscrew the sensor. It helps to remove the spare tire. FYI, my Explorer is not a daily driver and may sit for weeks without use. Some times the ABS light will stay on until I go thru a couple short drive cycles and then stays off.

Hi, I know this is an old thread…
2000 Explorer ABS light on, code reads “wheel speed sensor rear center input circuit failure”, so I’d like to assume I just need to fix some sensors and circuits. However, when I cold start and use my brakes for a complete stop after starting, sometimes they grab and grind. Do you think that’s the same problem with the ABS, or is that a whole new problem with just needing to replace my brake pads?
thanks
There is a single speed sensor on top of the rear axel. Very easy to get at and not that expensive to repair. The code is telling you that the speed from that sensor does not match the speed from the transmission or from the two front sensors.

Be prepared to clean some corrosion off to get it into position fully before bolting the new one down. I'm in the midwest and I had to take a file to mine.

Dang, I should scroll down before posting :) That said, I stand by making sure it seats fully before putting the bolt back in.

Back