Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Hello again,

I have a major AC leak. I charged the AC last fall. Worked fine. Drove it off and on until winter time and it pretty much sat until about a month ago.

I tried recharging it but there is a LARGE leak that sounds like it is coming from the back side of the compressor. It will pretty much leak out as fast as you can put it in. So this winter I bought the parts to redo most of the system. Accumulator, orifice tube, o-rings, schrader valve. Even bought a vacuum pump because my Ex my moms F-150, and both of my dads trucks needed to have stuff done with the AC so I figured it would be a good investment. So he used it to fix his and my moms trucks and now its on to mine.

Now seeing as it cycles on and off, and starts to get cool as long as the freon is in there (about 45 seconds), and it was just sitting there all winter, I am pretty much assuming the compressor didn't disintegrate. This is also why I am assuming its not the line that have had a hole rubbed in them because it was just sitting. I have already replaced the tube the accumulator schrader valve and all the orings except the ones on the back of the compressor. I was HOPING this would solve my problem this weekend.

BUT... are there any seals inside the compressor that can be leaking? I am only concerned because at the rate it is leaking I would assume I would be able to see some form of freon coming from somewhere. I would just hate to take it all apart to replace the orings on the hoses and its leaking somewhere inside the compressor and have to take it all back apart.

Oh and the orifice tube was fine, not clogged, I just replaced it because the system was already discharged.

best bet is to load the system with flourescent dye and check with a blacklight. The Auto Zone kit works pretty well. A big leak is not hard to find once you throw dye at it.

I might try the kit if its not to expensive. I just need the light, it's already full of dye from the previous owner/mechanic. Maybe it had some sealer in there that finally gave way.

Back