• Register Today It's free!

AC Problem...Its always on

gfisch

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hey, I've got a '98 XLT and I have a problem with the AC. It appears that the compressor is always running, nomatter where the selector knob is. Even if its just on blower, the air will get real cold.
Anyone have this problem before? Or know waht the cause is. I have yet to investigate if its an electrical or mechanica problem, but if anyone has experienced this before, please let me know.

Thanks,
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is perfectly normal. The only position the compressor doesn't run is the lower vents setting. So use that during winter when you don't want the compressor to run at all.

I thought that maybe it was supposed to do that.
That sucks though, thats probably whats really killing my milage.
So the lower vent setting is the only one where the AC is off?? Then why are there even AC choices on the knob???
All my other cars turned on the compressor only when the AC was selected.

Good question. It would make more sense if there were an a/c button, a temperature knob, and then a position knob.

On a '97 the only two positions the compressor does not run is on Vent and Off. In '98 Ford also added Floor Heater to the list. If you put your selector switch on the Vent setting on the left your A/C should not be on. If you swith it to Norm, Max, Def or Mix your A/C compressor will come on as long as the outside temperature is above 50F. Look in your manual for a picture showing you which positions your A/C will run in.

Back