ac promblems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ac promblems

Reaction score
City, State
aubrey texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer
my 92 explorer was converted to r134.i was having problems with the dryer freezing up.so my husband put in a new orifice tube.and two 12 onuce can of r134.we he came home,he realize he put the orifice tube in backwards.it blows cold real good.will the orifice tube being put in backwards hurt anything.he said the old r12 system capacity was 1.75 lbs.so he put in 24 ozs will that be plenty.

well first off why argue with success. I'm not sure you CAN put the orifice tube in backwards, and if you told me you did I'd say it wouldn't work, and it does - so I'd be wrong. For the record, a conversion uses about 80% as much 134 as was called for in R-12. I'm wondering if your low pressure cut out switch is working (hence the freezing). I imagine you are flooding the evaporator, but hey... back to the start. It is working! Why complain.

NO! The oriface tube will not function properly. Its not just a filter but it also functions as a expansion valve... The early explorers r12 capacity was 32 ozs. The first r134a explorers were 24 oz. systems... 2-12 oz. cans should be fine.

my husband redid his mess up. i need a cycle switch.the dryer freezing up grrrrrrrr.

Back