How to: - Accusump installation in Ford Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Accusump installation in Ford Explorer

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Not Canton

I'm actually asking if I can use an adapter that is NOT Canton (see link above) without also adding a cooler and/or second filter.

I'm mostly concerned about getting the proper oil flow if I'm using an adapter and plugging the extra/unneeded holes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sandwich adapter

Finally getting around to the accusump install for pre-oiling purposes. Trying to save some money though...

Does anyone know if I can use this sandwich adapter using only the outlet and just plug the inlet(s)? Its only $37 instead of $70 for the canton single outlet. I'm not planning on installing an oil cooler or secondary filter.

Canton Questions and Answers

"Can I Use an Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter as an Oil Input Sandwich Adapter?
Oil input sandwich adapters and oil cooler sandwich adapters are not interchangeable. Oil input sandwich adapters access oil flow as it passes to or from the filter and provide a port for installing items such as an external oil pump, or an Accusump. An oil input adapter will flow oil to the engine whether or not the oil ports are used. An oil cooler sandwich adapters diverts the oil flow and provide an in and out port for installing an oil cooler. The design of the oil cooler adapter requires the oil exiting the adapter to return back to the adapter, you cannot plug off a port in an oil cooler adapter. "

thx streetrod

Thanks for the writup..i wish you could of shown how the accumulator was oil fed and how it was plumbed into engine..

Don

I am completing my accusump per your outline with some modifications. I had one question if you could help me with and an opinion from you.

I am not sure where under my instrument panel I can tap into a "Hot in Run" with as little interference as I can. It's a 98 SOHC XLT.

The second is an opinion I would like from you based on experience. Operationally there are two schools of thought.
1. Turn the ignition on and energize the solenoid moving the volume into he galleys, starting, then turning the solenoid off with a toggle after the start. This was the latest conversation had with canton (and they are very helpful).

2. Just leave the toggle on all the time and let the run mode open and close the valve when the ignition turns on and off. It may put too much load on the solenoid coil. I kinda though that was the way you used it.

Thoughts ?

Oh - and that work you are doing on the 4.6 is amazing - I couldn't do that work and I am 15 years younger ))))))

For power I tapped into the LG/VT wire that comes from the ignition switch. I added an inline fuse: 2000 Sport Long term project vehicle

My toggle switch enables/disables power to the solenoid which closes the valve. During normal operation the toggle switch is set to enable the solenoid when the ignition switch is in Run. That way if oil pressure drops due to hard cornering the accumulator maintains adequate pressure. The only time I use the toggle switch to disable the solenoid is if I need to turn on the ignition but am not going to start the engine. That prevents the cylinder from discharging the oil and depressurizing. I haven't experienced any problems after years of operation.

Back