Adding EATC to a Ranger -- solved

n3elz

Reaction score
City, State
Kennett Square, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger
Hi, folks!

I'm not much for forums anymore, but I did want to say hi and share the joy. :bounce:

I have a how-to for adding a full Eddie EATC (electronic automatic temperature control) system to a '95 to 2003 (and maybe 2004) Ranger. I cover all the differences in different year parts, both on the Explorer/Mountaineer and the Ranger. I've personally installed three and know of two successful installs using my how-to and there may be more.

My install by day
296394_216_full.jpg

And by night (need to change the radio color somehow!)
296394_217_full.jpg

My Cardomain site is: http://www.cardomain.com/member/n3elz/

The how-to begins on page 14 and is 6 pages long. Don't be intimidated though -- I had to make it long to be complete. It is possible to get all your pieces, test them on the workbench to make sure they run, then install them knowing the resultant system will function.

Hope anyone looking for this mod has fun -- it's ENTIRELY worthwhile and my wife and I no long fight over the temperature in my Ranger -- even with a single zone system like this.

If you need to, email me with questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow!! That's awesome!! Congrats on your conversion. I bet you love it now!! LOL

Very nice write up. I am glad two of mine already have this feature. I am good with wiring but not that good :)

Thanks, guys. I think that basically I have "Explorer Envy" and this is the best way to feed it other than buying an Explorer, lol. I've joked that soon my truck will have to be re-badged an "Exploranger" or a "Range Explorer", lol!

Currently, I have added the keypad entry system like Explorers (only from a modified Taurus unit), the overhead console and auto headlight/auto dimming mirror (and both functions implemented -- not documented on my site though), a better dome/map light setup, and of course the EATC.

One of the guys who used my how-to has gone all the way and retrofit an Explorer steering wheel and clockspring assembly to his Ranger so that he now also has radio and EATC controls on his steering wheel. I'm too cheap to spend the money for the airbag, though! Still, I'll be posting his mod on my site as well. He's the mysterious "Bob" I mention in the how-to.

I also added the "Speed Volume" feature by jumping over the VSS signal from the GEM to pin 9 on the auxilliary connector of the radio. Particularly useful when the windows are down. This works in Rangers with the 6 CD system but not the single CD or the combo tape/CD radio. Not sure about the MP3 units.

Anyway, thanks again -- and yes, I do enjoy the "perks" of the Explorer hardware!

quite the radio setup you have there. i was gunna make a comment about your ability to talk to martians on that but then i realized you can probably talk to the ISS and thats close enough

It's difficult to talk to ISS without a pre-arranged schedule, but there is PLENTY of ham radio gear going up there. Did you know 1/2 the astronaut corp are ham radio operators? They've been the motivating force behind a great deal of ham radio related activity.

There's also a digital network repeater (so-called "packet radio") which you can use to send text messages via the ISS, and there's a few other satellites that have them. They are in low orbit and can be reached with fairly ordinary equipment. I've worked through a tiny, specially built "network hub in the sky" called PCSat, but I haven't worked though ISS yet. It is a goal though.

Packet radio is how my GPS positioning system sends my position reports to servers on the internet. You can track my truck live on the internet at http://map.findu.com/n3elz-14

Most of my friends are Martians though, or else they just look and act like it -- so I get to talk to Martians all the time! ;)

Awesome write-up for an awesome truck!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If I could just get my hands on one of those EATC units + a message center and all the parts i'd be the happiest person ever...but alas, I still can't find them anywhere! :fire:

How did you change over your steering wheel control lights? Also I see your headlight switch lights up, mine doesn't...bad bulb?

Sadly, your bulbs are likely good. On pre 2001 trucks (although inexplicably a few do have them) there is no circuit to power the lights in your steering wheel!

The "clockspring" mechanism is the device that conveys the wiring to the steering wheel while still letting it rotate freely. On 2000 trucks like yours there is no wire for the dashboard lighting run to and through the clockspring.

The way around this is to retrofit a clockspring from a later model truck. A bit of a pain in the butt but it can be done.

If you look at my LED tutorials on my CarDomain site you'll see an example of how I did the LED's in the steering wheel. I do it a little different now and I will be posting a full how-to on my CarDomain site when I get around to it -- I'm such a procrastinator!!!

My other switch and dash (gauge cluster) color is from using LED's and "glass paint". Basically, I have retrofit most of the small switch lighting with blue or red high-brightness LED's. On my CarDomain site there are some how-to pages on that as well.

The main dash is red because I took it apart, removed the overlays, scraped off the color silkscreening on the back of the overlays; then repainted them with a translucent color paint that is intended for faux stained glass work or for use in coloring ceramics. It's fairly inexpensive and the stuff I used was called "Delta PermEnamel Glass Paint" and I got it at a chain called "Michaels" which is a hobby and craft outfit.

I did the dash red for two reasons -- first off I have funny eyes that can be too sensitive to blue light (blue VW dashboards drive me nuts -- though it's a short drive...) and also EVERYBODY has blue dashboard overlays these days so the red is distinctive. Also, the overlays are clear right under the gauge needles and I painted that area blue to give the needles a pastel blue tinge. Some white light still leaks into the needles through the hole, then the blue comes through the clear area and the result is a nice powder blue.

I did not put LED's in the guage cluster. The base illumination is still provided by the original incandescent lamps.

Thanks all for the kind comments on my truck. Although electrically somewhat sophisticated for a Ranger, it is nothing compared to many of your awesome vehicles which combine the best of both comfort and off-road capabilities. Both the street and off-road trucks on this site are VERY impressive. I'm not as familiar with Explorers -- except electrically, lol -- but I see they are more capable than I once thought!

n3elz said:
Hi, folks!

I'm not much for forums anymore, ...
John, you're getting sucked back into forums! :p ;)
Thanks for sharing the great info, maybe you'll stick around some. :D

My 96 Sport lights up the cruise control on the steering wheel, but a couple of my bulbs are blown, and I can't see paying the dealership to take the steering wheel apart (so I don't bugger the airbag) to fix them. I love the EATC though, have to see about finding the parts to do that one. I have a buddy that's into ham radio, if u don't mind I'll give him ur call and see if he can contact u. COOL Exploranger! Put a cover on the bed and replace the tailgate with a lift gate and u'll almost be there...lol.

First, Marty, thanks for your email and comments!

Second, you won't bugger the airbag at all. It comes out with 2 screws that are under small circular plugs on each side of the steering wheel "spokes". Just carefully pry those plugs out and remove the bolt on each side. The airbag pulls off easily.

There's a connector you remove -- hold the airbag at right angles to your body when you do it so that in the VERY unlikely event of a trigger it blows to the side.

The biggest PITA is getting the pods apart. The front surface wraps around the boards, and the boards snap onto internal tangs. It's nearly, but not quite, impossible to take them apart without breaking one or both tangs -- though it's inconsequential and theres a way to keep them together after. Some genius may figure out a great way to take them apart "non-destructively" and post it -- but I don't have that! I've broken every one.

Sometime soon (any day now, any day...), I'll be posting a how-to on my CarDomain site giving detailed instructions for replacing the bulbs in those pods with LED's. I already have specific how-to's there on replacing the bulbs in the headlight, 4x4, rear wiper, and foglight/defroster switches. There are only 3 basic types of lamp assemblies used in all those systems, and my existing how-to's cover those types, even though they don't mention the Explorer specific switches.

When I do the new cruise control how-to, I'll post it's existence here as well. It will be as perfectly applicable to you Explorer guys as it is to us Ranger folks. I'll defer explaining every detail here in the interest of only typing it ONCE, lol.

john i can't believe that you posted this over here, way to get the word out!!! i am just two parts shy of doing this mod!!! and i have all of the other mods that john has listed above!!! :)

I've just done this mod using this walkthrough and I can say firsthand that this information was critical in doing this mod successfully.

I am having one small issue with my install (out of 100 steps) that I was not 100% clear on in the walk through, that I was hoping I could get cleared up.

I have a 1997 vehicle with an EATC from a 97(including wiring and tubing) but accessories(servo, electronic thermo, temp stuff) from a 95 EATC donor vehicle.

For the most part it works great. I have directly hooked up my RD/OR and PU wires without using relays for power. The unit turns on after being off, and operates normally. But when turned off the blower goes full boar on the top vents.

I have no idea why it is doing this. I have tested and retested and still am lost!

Back