Adding Navigation Later | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Navigation Later

Any how back to the Navigation thread here....I get asked all the time, if I don't have Nav, then why the screen....and also they ask Why is Ford locking down the computers instead of opening up an aftermarket upgrade option.....
As Rebecca mention in her post,"Yes, it's a software configuration issue, not hardware. Due to the programming/coding that is required, it doesn't have "off-the-shelf" functionality. One limitation is that the module has some licensing that has to be activated at the time of build."
The screen is for the MFT functions and review camera, if you have one. The instrument cluster configurations are different for the Base and the XLT. The Base has a smaller screen where your 8" screen is. The Base does not have a rearview camera as an option whereas the XLT does. That is why you have the larger screen.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I am new to the forum.

I own a Ford Explorer 2011, bought without navigation in the Dubai, UAE. The dealer told me I could have added that functionality later.

After reading a few forums and asking directly to Ford Middle East, I realized that, apparently, adding navigation later is not possible.

Just out of a curiosity, I was bringing in the car for service today, and I started a conversation about this with the chief Engineer.
I was shown the module you can see in the pictures below.
They were installing it on a Ford Raptor.
The dealer told me that he cannot provide specifically the unit for me, but if I can get it "somewhere" that will be capable to enable the navi function to my explorer.

Returning to the issue that some customers are wondering if the hardware is actually installed or not. In MFT when you press Menu->Help->Where am I ? it actually gives you the position in Lat and Long and Altitude. The position is updating when the car is in motion, meaning that actually a GPS receiver is installed.

As you can see in the pictures the SD card was removed from the unit just to show you. That is the database for UAE.

It is a shame that a limited model, full top specs, is not coming with navigation factory enabled.

Ford should instruct their resellers not to mention that you cannot add the navi function after you purchase. I was told I could, so now I want it.

It is also a shame that all online services offered to USA, Canada and Mexico customers like Syncmyride.com, are not available for other Countries... In the end the car is the same, why would I have less services if I buy the car in another Country ?

So now the question is: where can I get that part ?
Welcome to the Forum pietropavan. :wavey:
Pete, see my post above to Lexxus as a reason why navigation currently has to be added at the factory.
Usually there are reasons why some items are listed as Options and some as Accessories. Options are things that are installed at the factory during the building phase as part of your order. Accessories are items that can be added after the vehicle has been built. Right now, if you look at the brochures and website, Navigation is an Option, not an Accessory. It also has nothing to do with the fact that the vehicle does already have GPS.

Peter

Order the vehicle with the options and difficult to install accessories you want from the factory. We have a 2013 Escape that we are trying to put a remote starter in from Ford. We have had it apart three times to find out we got a defective module. Don't know about you, it I don't want my new Explorer pulled that far apart three times.....

Welcome to the Forum pietropavan. :wavey:
Pete, see my post above to Lexxus as a reason why navigation currently has to be added at the factory.
Usually there are reasons why some items are listed as Options and some as Accessories. Options are things that are installed at the factory during the building phase as part of your order. Accessories are items that can be added after the vehicle has been built. Right now, if you look at the brochures and website, Navigation is an Option, not an Accessory. It also has nothing to do with the fact that the vehicle does already have GPS.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I think that the discussion here is more into: can this navi function practically be installed after I purchased the car ?

If the answer is yes, than it must be installed on my vehicle.

I understand every company might have their own way of doing business (options and accessories), although I don't agree on this particular ford policy on navigation systems retrofit.

I also recall that I was offered navigation system as an upgrade from my dealer at the time of purchase, I did not bother to go online and check if the information I received was correct or not, because I assumed that dealing with an official Ford dealer was enough.

If I would have been told, no, you cannot have navi ever. Than I would not be here loosing my time in claiming something that I do not owe.

If anybody knows where I can get that "Ford Navigation Module" it would be very much appreciated.

I also have the information that they received a bunch of cars here in the UAE which they were marked as navi enable, but in reality they came in without navi function. Than Ford realized about the mistake and they shipped another bunch of those modules, just to upgrade the cars.

So, once again, "if not done at the factory", what does that actually mean ? probably it's better said, after customer purchase ?

I don't care where and when, my point is if that the upgrade is possible technically, than they must have that thing installed on my car.

The part will probably not work for you. The Explorer navigation is a function of the MFT system. It uses an SD card for map data and does not need an external unit.

In another thread, someone mentions that what is required is for the MFT unit to be enabled for navigation, but Ford will only do this from the factory. It doesn't make much sense, but that is the way it is.

So, even if you have MFT, unless you can get someone to do the programming somehow, another piece of hardware won't make a difference.

Sorry.

Hello I am new to the forum.

I own a Ford Explorer 2011, bought without navigation in the Dubai, UAE. The dealer told me I could have added that functionality later.

After reading a few forums and asking directly to Ford Middle East, I realized that, apparently, adding navigation later is not possible.

Just out of a curiosity, I was bringing in the car for service today, and I started a conversation about this with the chief Engineer.
I was shown the module you can see in the pictures below.
They were installing it on a Ford Raptor.
The dealer told me that he cannot provide specifically the unit for me, but if I can get it "somewhere" that will be capable to enable the navi function to my explorer.

Returning to the issue that some customers are wondering if the hardware is actually installed or not. In MFT when you press Menu->Help->Where am I ? it actually gives you the position in Lat and Long and Altitude. The position is updating when the car is in motion, meaning that actually a GPS receiver is installed.

As you can see in the pictures the SD card was removed from the unit just to show you. That is the database for UAE.

It is a shame that a limited model, full top specs, is not coming with navigation factory enabled.

Ford should instruct their resellers not to mention that you cannot add the navi function after you purchase. I was told I could, so now I want it.

It is also a shame that all online services offered to USA, Canada and Mexico customers like Syncmyride.com, are not available for other Countries... In the end the car is the same, why would I have less services if I buy the car in another Country ?

img1377x.jpg

img1375zz.jpg

img1374uw.jpg

img1373oh.jpg

Auto wrecker or Ebay, you can set Ebay up to notify you when one gets listed.

The screen is for the MFT functions and review camera, if you have one. The instrument cluster configurations are different for the Base and the XLT. The Base has a smaller screen where your 8" screen is. The Base does not have a rearview camera as an option whereas the XLT does. That is why you have the larger screen.

Peter

Thanks Peter,
I knew that already from test driving the cars last yer before i bought. of interest if anyone did not know, the Base did not have Bluetooth last year.....so for me to hookup my phone to the car, I needed to upgrade. Unless they changed it this year, it's still the same. I was goign to get the base model originally but had to upgrade to keep my phone functionality.

Interesting to see at the dealer lots, every car (XLT & up) seems to have Navigation on it now when I looked at them.

Auto wrecker or Ebay, you can set Ebay up to notify you when one gets listed.

I'm pretty sure that module is for the sync systems without MFT, like in the F150's. Looking at the actual specs from Autostrasse shows that this is a full embedded computer, not a module that would enable navi on our existing APIM.

Adding Navigation?

Is there a way to add navigation to the MFT system if it wasn't installed from factory? Thanks for all replies!

I remember seeing an older post saying it was technically possible to just add the SD card, but Ford wouldn't sell it. I don't know...you could PM Rebecca and ask

Nope. Licensing issues. Though technologically feasible, it is very unlikely to ever happen.

**DO NOT BUY THE SD CARD ON EBAY IT WILL NOT WORK!** (sorry for the caps, not trying to yell, just get the OP's attention :) The dealer I purchased from was willing to sell me the SD card, I was very excited to get the navigation because the vehicle had everything I wanted but the Nav and the dealer was going to give me the Nav & Remote start for half price...after working on the vehicle for a day and a half they called me back and said they could not get it working. Listen to Rebecca, it doesnt work if it's not factory installed. 8-( Very depressing!

Hi, Dr Plastic!

Like bluex232 stated, it would be very depressing for someone to purchase this and it not work. As an awesome side note: anyone with NAV that has not received the Performance Upgrade (v3.0.2) or A3 SD card should be visiting their dealer. The SD card will be free. :D

Rebecca

I know this is a long shot, but it has been a few months.

Any update on the licensing and being able to add Navigation???

Sync turn by turn is still junk, worse than before. I am hoping adding Nav may help

I know this is a long shot, but it has been a few months.

Any update on the licensing and being able to add Navigation???

Sync turn by turn is still junk, worse than before. I am hoping adding Nav may help

No update yet, Fredridge. :(

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Ford Engineers,

I'm in UAE and just purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT (2nd Option)

Its having MFT, but i'm wondering there is no yet any ways to add navigation. Are there any updates i have to do?

What is that i can do with apps? i Have seen options to install Apps. What Apps?

How can i make more out of MFT?

Back