karl_burns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem, NC - Go Deacs!
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV 5speed
I'm a 1998 4.0L OHV 5 speed 4x2 Sport.

Currently running 31s, but will end up with 3" taller spindles (I've got spindles coming soon from Jeffseal) and 100mm torsion bolts up front, and SOA in the rear for approximately 5" of lift from base height. Got the longer U-bolts and a 4dr leaf pack set-up for $100. Code H (middle of the road). Axle wrap probably won't be as much of a concern since I'm not rock crawling, but I've seen myself get stuck 4 or 5 times in winter-time snow/ice with only one wheel spinning.......thus the longing for the L/S, or even locker.

Now, should I get a complete 4.10 L/S rear end from a salvage yard? I'm gonna end up with 33s, or maybe even 35s at the end of this, so I'll need to upgrade from the 3.27s or 3.08s I got in there now. (doorjam code 41) They've got plenty of stuff on eBay for me to choose from, and I've been watching the FSTW on this site too! So should I get the factory 4.10 L/S towing package set-up? Could get one of those for under $300 around Boston I bet.......I am pretty patient and thrifty, so I don't mind shopping for good deals.

Bigger gears, bigger shoes, 5" suspension lift. This thing wants to be 4x4!

Karl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd run at least 4.10's with a quality limited slip, if not a nice locker. I've got Lock Rites and run on the street daily, and sure i get tire chirp here and there (dependin how much i get on the gas) and occaionally it chatters lockin up, but what do ya expect? I've got the cheap end of lockers, but it's well worth it.

I wouldnt get a factory L/S, they really suck, I had them in mine and it was nothing to write home about. I would get at least a good LS or a Locker, I think you would be better with LS since you drive in the snow are a selective locker.

4.30 or 4.56. 4.56 will be a bit low for 33s. I think 4.30 would be perfect, though if you're ever thinking about SAS they wouldn't work.

karl, wait for the aussie locker to come out one of this years. they are probably $199 and they said they are lockers. so, that is what i am waiting for. i already have my 33s on and my 4.10 sitting in the garqage..waiting for this aussie locker. so, since u are as thrifty as me, wait a little bit for the locker.

the reason I thought of factory was simplicity

But since y'all love to spend my money (and I made the mistake of asking for the <expensive> advice), I'm hearing to pick up gears (4.10 or 4.30 on 33s) for about $150, and LockRites or one of the mythical Aussie lockers then, eh?
I'll look around. Also please post sites to find these parts if you don't mind.

Alec- SAS is no where near on my mind. But thanks for the warning.

Thanks again everyone!
Karl

Originally posted by swak6287
karl, wait for the aussie locker to come out one of this years. they are probably $199 and they said they are lockers.

ARB doesn't make a locker for the 8.8?

So I've seen the Aussie Locker's website

but still no verifiable input that these things exist/work. I really wanna find out soon. Going to check some salvage yards for 4.10s, and see if I can't add the Aussie at another time. It delays the cost, and at least gets me lower gears NOW.
Of course, I still need spindles since my supplier backed out.....
Karl

And another thing.....

If I get a new rear assembly, does it matter whether or not the new rear axle is from a 5 speed? I don't think it does, but when I searched I noticed the delineation between "AT" and "5spd".
Thanks again,
Karl

Trust me, go ahead for 4.30 or 4.56. Might as well do it right the first time, even if it is a bit more cash. This is coming from someone who regeared twice.

If the truck is mostly street, go with an Eaton LS. If more offroad, an electric locker/LS unit (Eaton, Detroit) or ARB. This is also coming from someone who's driven and ridden with all sorts of traction aids.

Back
Top Bottom