• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket/custom flat roof rack

McKenzieGary

Reaction score
City, State
Siler city, north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 ford explorer xlt
Looking to have a flat roof rack for a roof top tent. Looking for ideas. Nothing for explorer really. Seen one guy custom make his and used the bolt holes where the factory rails were but his was a expedition.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will this be mounted on the roof itself or on the roof rails? I believe both have a slight curve to them. Do you have the moonroof?

Peter

I used this to mount our kayaks (worrdied about moonroof). Nothing really aftermarket for 2016 Explorer Sport. So I build my own. I used those bolt threads (remove plastic caps) along the roof rack rails. Then 90-degree Aluminmum angle, bolted to the rails. Then welded some crossbeams to that structure. Think big letter "H" (with 2 horizontals). Yeah, not quick on/off, as you BOLT the "luggage rack" to the roof rails. Also, not sure I would put the weight of 2 adults on those rails, but for 2 plastic Kayaks, it was great!

Will this be mounted on the roof itself or on the roof rails? I believe both have a slight curve to them. Do you have the moonroof?

Peter
I have removed the roof rails cause I didn’t have cross bars and I didn’t want it cuz the ones I found only hold 100lbs and my roof rails, cross bars and basket holds 250lbs that I had bought for my civic then stuck it on my focus I had then I was going to put it on the explorer that’s why I removed it. I have to buy some trim stuff to cover my screws I put in the holes. It’s a slick top now. Then I seen a guy who had an expedition and mounted his to the roof . But the basket I have clamps to inside of the door part where the gasket is. If that makes sense. But now I think I want a flat thingy on top so I can have a tent on top. And make it a overland vehicle. And no moon roof

I used this to mount our kayaks (worrdied about moonroof). Nothing really aftermarket for 2016 Explorer Sport. So I build my own. I used those bolt threads (remo plastic caps) along the roof rack rails. Then 90-degree Aluminmum angle, bolted to the rails. Then welded some crossbeams to that structure. Think big letter "H" (with 2 horizontals). Yeah, not quick on/off, as you BOLT the "luggage rack" to the roof rails. Also, not sure I would put the weight of 2 adults on those rails, but for 2 plastic Kayaks, it was great!
I forgot about the weight of people I have 5+1 if we have her on the weekends so right now about 600 rounded off plus ever how much the rack on the roof so maybe 1000lbs to be safe for when they get older

I forgot about the weight of people I have 5+1 if we have her on the weekends so right now about 600 rounded off plus ever how much the rack on the roof so maybe 1000lbs to be safe for when they get older
Keep in mind the weight limit on the roof rails/roof is 100 lbs when you are driving. The weight restriction has nothing to do with the ability of the roof to support a certain amount of weight but everything to do with vehicle stability when in motion.

Peter

Keep in mind the weight limit on the roof rails/roof is 100 lbs when you are driving. The weight restriction has nothing to do with the ability of the roof to support a certain amount of weight but everything to do with vehicle stability when in motion.

Peter
It will only have people weight on top for tent. the tent part not sure about now. Still up in the air would be nice though lol. I’m not using stock roof rack I have one that is a small basket each cross bar holds 250lbs a piece. or a water reservoir for showers either custom as in a 4” or 5” pvc tube or bought off-line seen one made out of pvc. I have a reciver I’m wanting to buy is a dual swing out thingy that holds a tire on one side and hold something else on the other.

Back