Aftermarket radio works but no sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket radio works but no sound

brian keith

Reaction score
City, State
Strongstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I have a 98 explorer xlt just tried to install a pioneer cd player bought the appropiate wire harness then wired it all up .the radio works but i get no sound any suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 explorer xlt just tried to install a pioneer cd player bought the appropiate wire harness then wired it all up .the radio works but i get no sound any suggestions

Thats weird, I've owned 2 pioneers in my life and never had a problem. Even if you wired the speakers incorrectly, you'd still get sound out of it. I almost know this isn't the cause, but look through the unit's settings and make sure its not something with this. Other than that, I'd say you have a bad unit

yo i had the same damn problem couldnt figure out what it was so i had to run new wires...they worked fine with the stop head unit

yeah i got the same problem to i know the cd player is not bad because i took it out of another vehicle could it have something to do with the factory amp

I had the same problem with a sony headunit. The poblem I had was that I had a factory amplifier and didn't know it. You have to bypass the amp to get them to work.

Well first I would make sure that you do have a factory amp. If you have one it will be located in the rear right quater panel.

how do i do that..fill me in

To bypass the amp you have to run new wires into the doors to the speakers. Or if you don't feel like doing that than you could go to the outputs of the factory amp and cut them off the amp and wire them from there. But it would be less 'hack' to wire them into the doors.

There is a way to bypass the amp with a connector they make but after fooling around with best buy for a day I decided to run my own wires. In this site is a thread that tells you the wiring diagram of your speakers. What I did was trace the speaker wires and to cut and splice into them instead of running all new speakers wires to the doors. I found the rear speakers wires located in the middle console they are wrapped in tape so you will tear the tape off. I found the front speakers wires located in front right kicker panel. It is alot shorter of a run to splice into the existing wires. For the amp I just removed the amp and the wiring harness all together. But to make life simple and if your are not impatient try to find the adapter it will be worth the wait.

it could also be that there is two blue wires one has a white stripe on it i think its to power antenna. well you just put them two together. i have a valor 700w and i had to do that

blue/white is remote turn on and blue only is power antenna.

The harness you bought to go intot he stock wiring, did it have two connectors or one?

Mine did the same thing...came to be the remote turn on lead was took weak to turn on the factory amp AND the sub amp...simple relay fixed it.

it had two. beacause who knows why ford makes them like that

it had two. beacause who knows why ford makes them like that

They made is with two because they had the stock system with a factory sub and rear radio option. The other plug is to make the factory amp work or possible (mostly never without a Pac or peripheral part) make the rear radio feature work.

I have a 96' XLT and Im trying to use a pioneer head unit with the stock speakers, mine does not have a sub but it does have the CD, changer. but the only way im gettin power is if i use the power cable from the cigerette lighter.?.?, i tried connecting the two blue and white wires but still no sound, i also tried the amp bypass kit but it didn't work either. it looks like I am going to have to put new door speakers in it just to save me the head ache.

try using a relay

Any easy way to know what stereo package the X comes with? I just bought mine used, so I have no clue what it's got... I just want a new HU, but I don't want a million headaches.

Back